Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Jeep Certified
49095596

2005 Jeep Liberty - in Limp mode. Replaced PCM with Factory

Customer Question

2005 Jeep Liberty - in Limp mode. Replaced PCM with Factory Remanufactured Unit upon advice of JA tech. Did not fix the problem. Removal and inspection of transmission reveals no hard part damage, no irregular clutch wear. Transmission appears to be a salvage unit at one point in time, and the solonoid pack appears to have been replaced at some point, but that does not guarantee anything is not malfunctioning with it. Need advice on where to go from here.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

At this point you need to scan the TCM (Transmission Control Module) to see what codes the P0700 lead to. The P0700 is a Generic code that gets stored in the PCM telling you that there are codes stored in the TCM. You MUST scan the TCM to determine what needs to be done next... Actually, the scan should have been done BEFORE pulling the transmission for teardown and inspection.. Now you basically have no choice but to reassemble the transmission and reinstall it, fill with fluid clear codes in the TCM and drive it until it goes to limp mode again. Once the vehicle goes to limp mode again, there will be codes stored in the TCM. You WILL need a capable scanner that can communicate with the TCM in order to pull codes from the TCM. A GENERIC code reader CAN NOT read transmission codes. You need a high end scanner that can talk to the TCM...

If you can post codes here from the TCM, I can point you in the right direction to get this figured out....

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.

This is an automated response that was scheduled when I posted my answer. I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks!", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark "http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-Robertr/?r=SprinterRob&bt=0" My Profile Page (Bookmark this link) in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it.

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If your not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.

My goal is to answer your question to your complete satisfaction, and would like to earn your business now and in the future.

Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Robert