Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Looking expert

Customer Question
looking for jeep expert...
looking for jeep expert
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
I don't want an answer within a day
pls let me know when I get connected to some one
i need the answer , otherwise I have to cancel the order.
8/25/2015
Jeep Mechanic: Jon, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Jon
Jon, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, have you done any highway driving? Cat and 02 usually go through at the same time at a steady highway speed.

I did , as I mentioned o2 and o2 heater is complete, cat was not getting done. I tried another ecm from ebay [ used one] this morning I drove it about 140 miles no luck. I know with installed one evap is not done but that could be a result of low fuel level or temp, which is not the concern . my try is cat

Does California require all of the monitors to be set? In PA on a 2000, I think you can have 2 not ready and it will pass emissions. Either way, a decent scanner will show you what the global disable is if you have access to a decent scanner. That's a JTEC pcm and they're usually not hard to get the monitors ready. If you go into catalyst monitor pre test on that scanner, it will tell you if there's a global disable.

jon I am in repair business , we do smog here and starting new prog DAD only one monitor and has to be evap allowed. this car is totally on my nerve. you mentioned something JTEC . like to know where you reffering me to???
are you saying they came up the tool to go around the monitor or manually change the status of them to YES
the term GLOBAL DISABLE is new to me

Global disable is a reason why a monitor will not run like you said earlier hi/low temp, fuel etc. JTEC (Jeep truck engine controller) is the 3 connector pcm that should be on that jeep. There's no way to manually change it to yes, we need to find out if there is a global disable keeping that cat monitor from running. Task manager function in your scan tool should tell you what if any global disable. Just out of curiosity, what's your baro reading? High or low baro could be a global disable. close to sea level, it should be 29-30.

jon still is not very clear this global disable. what is the purpose of it. I have snapon 2500 and I don't believe tell me that , I will try though. interesting the ecm on the car was the same as the used replacement. jon do you know the criteria of cat monitor on wrangler

The global disable is a reason for a monitor not running like low/high fuel, temp etc. If your scan tool has cat monitor pre-test, that will show you the operating conditions needed to get the cat monitor to run. It will also beep constantly to let you know when those conditions are met on a chrysler DRB 3 while its in those conditions.

if criteria not match I have to discover what is it specially since both ecm act the same. can you walk me through condition is needed for that monitor. for sure I don't have drb3

Its steady speed above 40 mph. Like I said earlier, cat and 02 usually pass under the same conditions. Look for pre tests on your snap on scanner. If it has those,it will show you which parameters need to be met for it to pass the cat monitor while you are driving and what's in and what's out. If it doesn't have pre tests, the best advice I could give it drive it at a steady speed on the highway with the fuel level higher than 1/4 tank and lower than 3/4 tank.

the barro rearing is 98 kpa , scanner dont show readiness monitor ,just show compellation .the fuel level for cat or evap?

98 kpa converts to 28.9 inches of mercury so that's about normal if youre close to sea level. id say slightly above sea level with that reading if that's correct for where you are. you'd really need a scanner with pre test capability for me to help you further. we need that cat pre test screen to see whats in and whats out of the parameters while driving it at a steady highway speed,

do you have a snap shut of pre test. I like to see what it contains .
JON pretty much you just like me wondering why it act like what it does. and that can not be any help. another word I am at the same point that I started.
TNX

I don't know if snap on scanners have that function or not. I would think a higher end one should. Like I said the DRB3 and our newer scanners like witech and star scan have them. Maybe try going to a dealer and try talking one of the techs and see if they'll take a ride with you with a DRB3 for a few dollars...The pre test screen is what you need to see to find out what is inhibiting that monitor from running. It's under OBD2 monitors in our scanners if that helps any.

hi jon
I red your response,i f I had dr3 I would defiantly try it. I thought you could at least provide me with a copy of any snap shut of the scanner . I don't know how things are in back east but for sure in calif is very rip off . I am probably the only stupid tech who spend time to help customer . I did not get any help from you this time , hope in the future I use your brain.
good luck,
ben

Sorry, I'm not that familiar with snap on scanners. I work at a Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge dealer and we have factory scan tools here. I tried my best to guide you where to go as far as getting to those pre test screens. That will tell you what is keeping the monitor from running.

jon at your dealership do have [ or you can get or generate ] any print out of a snap shut . I like to see what do they show and how. tnx

these shots are from Witech but the DRB3 has similar screens with the enabling conditions.

c86ebf36-8208-45a3-bb89-...jpgc86ebf3...jpgc8cbeea1-9f96-4703-8ec5-...jpgc8cbeea...jpg83fb22c2-8a37-49e4-b9c7-...jpg83fb22c...jpg56aa34a9-dd3e-4836-bd94-...jpg56aa34a...jpg
Jon
Jon
Jon, ASE Certified Technician