Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Have a tapping noise in my jeep grand Cherokee,change push

Customer Question

Have a tapping noise in my jeep grand Cherokee,change push rods..rocker arms and lifters and still hear tapping noise.Could you tell me what do you think the noise could be..
TY
Chris
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question
Have you listened with a mechanic's stethoscope at valve covers, timing cover, oil pan yet? If not, we need to do that.
Under what circumstances do you hear the tapping noise?
Does it sound mechanical or possibly electrical tapping noise
The more details, the better I can assist you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hear the noise about 5 minutes after start up in the valve cover.I had changed everything like I said,sounds like the noise is coming from the rocker.But they are also new.Could it be a worn camshaft...Or what do you suggest I i should do.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
Ok, just wanted to make sure the noise was isolated to the valve covers. I have replaced quite a few cams for worn lobes, as well as a few for excess wear on the cam itself from the bearings.
With the rest of the valvetrain being new, I would advise replacing the camshaft at this point
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I didn't get back to you,well i guess I have no choice but to replace the camshaft.The check Engine light is on,and i have to get it turned off also, makes my engine idles rough. I am just hoping that I don't have to take the bumper off to take out the camshaft.It's strange that a straight 6 engine would be giving that type of problem...If i was to talk to you on the phone..would that be a better idea. ..do want to fix my jeep.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get in touch with you?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
We can do the phone service but that is additional. And to be honest, I have yet to have a question on here that cant be answered in this format, but I can do the phone if you wish. It would be tomorrow morning though.