Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Aloha Sprinkles08 I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Customer Question
Aloha Sprinkles08 I have...
Aloha Sprinkles08 I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Suddenly today I started to have a series of problems with the Key/Steering column lock and then the anti theft system
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
the problem started when I couldn't get the key to come out of the ignition cylinder. I checked and made sure it was fully in Park and jiggled and rotated the steering wheel but no change. Since I could still turn the key, I rotated it to the first position and removed the cylinder. When the cylinder was out, the key would come out fine but when I put the cylinder back in it was stuck again. When I took the cylinder out again, there was a spring and small plastic part which came out of the lock on the steering column. I couldn;t get it to go back in. I could turn the ignition with the cylinder out with a screwdriver and the car would start but then the antitheft system must have been triggered because the engine will start but will only run for a few seconds and will then die. I have tried to use the FOB to reset the anti theft system and have tried removing the battery for up to 10 min and then reconnecting it with the ignition in the start position but I can't get it to reset. ( I continue to see the key with the slash on the warning lights on the dash and the engine will only start for several seconds and will then die.How can I reset the anti theft so that I can hopefully temporarily use the car and then what do I need to do to fix it properly??is there a way to bypass or disconnect the anti theft system?Also- is there a way to disconnect and disable the alarm system and the passenger side airbag. I have young kids who I would like to be able to ride in the front seat sometimes...
8/21/2015
Jeep Mechanic: Jon, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Jon
Jon, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, if the ignition lock cylinder is removed, it should start if you hold the key as close as possible to where it would be if the lock cylinder was installed and you were starting it with the key. Try holding the key where is should be while starting with the screw driver. There's a round antenna right in front of the lock cylinder that has to send a signal to the key.

Hi JonYour information was helpful but not at all complete. You didn't tell me what I need to do to actually fix the problem. And you didn't answer my questions about disconnecting the antitheft system or airbag.I think my other dissatisfaction was not your fault but when I entered my question the system said I could expect an answer in 8 minutes so I kept hanging around and checking my computer for an hour or two but I didn't actually get your answer for something like 10 hours. I know this was within the 24 hrs specified but I wouldn't have wazsted that time if I hadn't been misled by the 8 min message...

The only way to get rid of SKIM (sentry key immobilizer module) would be to get a new pcm (engine computer) and unplug the skim module. Once a pcm sees a skim module on the data bus, it will always look for an ok to start message from a skim module. So if you get a new pcm, leave the skim module unplugged, it won't look for that ok to start message and you could use keys without chips to start it. It sounds like you need a new lock cylinder for the ignition from what you told me starting it with a screwdriver. As far as the airbag, you could unplug it to disable it. I'm not sure if it's legal to have kids in the front seat though. Only vehicles like trucks with no rear seating have passenger airbag on/off switches.

Jon
Jon
Jon, ASE Certified Technician