Jeep Service
Jeep Service, Jeep Owner
Experience:  14 years with AMC/Jeep Specializing with pre-1994 Jeep products.
14892859

I have a 96 jeep cherokee and it stalled at red lights and

Customer Question

I have a 96 jeep cherokee and it stalled at red lights and then started to shift hard. Sometimes it would stick. I took it to the mechanic and he said I needed a trans rebuild for 1350. I said I didn't want to spend it on that car and he sai that he could enter the trans from the bottom and clean it all out and replace the filter and some sensors and he says it should run ok and get me from point a to b. He wants $675 for it. Am I being ripped off?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jeep Service replied 2 years ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you on this request. Before you spend 675 dollars for him to guess at what he will be doing to attempt a fix, I, if I were you, woeuld take thsi vehicle to a transmission shop or facility that can do transmissions and have them do a complete transmission fluid Flush. Not a drain the pane and refill, but a complete flush, where a machine is hooked up to the transmission lines and all of the oil and contaminated transmission fluid is removed whilst new fluid is being pumped in. On a vehicle of this age, a transmission fluid conditioner product (commonly used during flushes) shoudl be used in conjunction with the new fluid. This process ( the flush and the conditioner) will clean the interior of the valve body and soften up any neoprene seals that may have hardened up (hot ATF causes the rubber seals to lose the needed pliability)...this might be all you need, and it will be 400 dollars cheaper. An added benefite here is a flush will clean the trans oil filter too, so you wont have to buy one. This would be my recommendation before speculating that one would 'clean it all out' (in my opinion, that is rubbish) and replace a filter and some nameless sensors (more rubbish)....

If he does not know what the problem is to start with ("let's just rebuild it; that will fix it"), he ought not be working on it to start with. Ripped off? Yes. Without Question. By an very poor 'mechanic'.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Expert:  Jeep Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Checking in to see if you need any additional assistance on your request. If you need any additional help, please feel free to get back to me. Thanks