sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Having a electric issue with my 97 2.5l wrangler. Shorted

Customer Question

Having a electric issue with my 97 2.5l wrangler. Shorted out a wire I ran on my C.B. I had attach to my radio fuse. No, rpm gage is going to 0 speed odometer is dropping to 0 and truck is dead. Rest of gages work fine but sometimes no sound from radio, but, radio has power. Truck runs good except for when that happens
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The radio and gauge issues should be separate as they're unrelated systems.
If you're losing the guages yet the cluster is still powered up then odds are you have a bus communication issue, but it may be an internal instrument cluster failure. This could be a wiring issue or an internal failure in a module shorting the bus high or low, but this was often caused by a connection issue at the instrument cluster. Can you remove the cluster, clean the connector and cluster terminals with electrical contact cleaner, and see if that makes a difference?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't think that is correct. I don't there is a problem with my cluster because it is only the two parts of gage broke and test the plugins with meter and red good power.how can I check cluster. in my year model obdll and radio work on same fuse. I'm sure it's a short, just not sure how to check to make sure. I just thought you might have insite on how to check oms on each circut, or how to check relay or computer.
Only having a couple gauges acting up makes it more likely to be the cluster than anything else.
The first thing I would recommend is cleaning the connector and cluster terminal with contact cleaner and see if that helps. Connection issues on the CCD bus terminals at the cluster were common on these, replacing the cluster connector may be necessary.