Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

I've got a 2002 Jeep Liberty. 3.7L V6. I bought the jeep

Customer Question

I've got a 2002 Jeep Liberty. 3.7L V6. I bought the jeep thinking I could fix it and here's what the initial problem was. It idles rough. While in parking I rev past 3k rpm it'll spitter or cut out. My code is a consistent p0302. Cylinder 2 misfire. I've swapped switched ignition coils and fuel injectors. The problem is isolated to cylinder 2. If I disconnect the battery for a while and clear the code, the Jeep will drive fine as in being able to accelerate past 3k rpm. After 15 minutes the code will go off and won't be able to rev past 3k rpm. I can consistory unplugged the battery and drive it like this for 15 minutes before these symtons happen again. I've already replaced all the spark plugs. Cylinder 2's spark plug was the only one that had oil on it. Not sure if that's a big deal or not. I also have a lot of exhaust while idling.
I'm at a lost. My next thoughts are that the fuel filter is gone bad but that would affect all the cylinders.
If anyone could help me that would be awesome
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,
What color is the exhaust smoke .
Can you do a engine compression test .
At idle is the engine making a loud ticking noise .
Is the P0302 the only code you have .
Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The exhaust smoke looks about normal, there is just a lot at idle.A compression test is still on my list of to do'sThere is no ticking sound while idle. the engine just shakes a little. Also after driving everything under the hood is extremely hot.Yes, that's the only code I have had.
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Do a compression test, seen this engine have valve drive train issue and always is the No.2 cylinder .
Greg