Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

The turn signals on our 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Customer Question

the turn signals on our 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo often do not work when the vehicle is first started. This may last 10 minutes or up to an hour. Then the signals will work. No other issues with lights have been discovered EXCEPT: the lights for the radio/stereo/CD player quit about a year ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome! Can I start by getting your VIN?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
VIN: 1J4GW38S32C172037
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that information!
The most common issue causing the turn signals to not work (intermittently) would be a bad combination flasher or a bad turn signal switch.
Amedee
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've deduced the same issues. Lithia-the Jeep dealer--could not identify where the problem might be. The flasher is apparently within a unit that coordinates much of the lighting for the vehicle--so, changing the flasher (as was normal in older vehicles) appears out of the question. How would one trouble shoot the turn signal switch?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.

Hello! According to the VIN, the combo flasher is in the junction block inside the vehicle. I am looking at a wiring diagram of this circuit right now. The signal goes from the multi function switch, to the combonation flasher and then out to the turn signals. You will need to check all fuses and the powers going into the combo flasher with the key on. There should be two that have battery voltage.

To diagnose the or check the signal from the multifunction switch, check for a ground on the light blue/white wire going into the combo flasher when the left turn signal is on and check for a ground on the light blue/yellow wire going into the combo flasher with the right turn signal is on. Keep in mind, the key will need to be one when doing this test.

Glad I can help.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you have any further questions?

Let me know!

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?
Let me know!
Amedee