Jeep Service
Jeep Service, Jeep Owner
Experience:  14 years with AMC/Jeep Specializing with pre-1994 Jeep products.
14892859

I have a 1999 jeep Cherokee 4.0l and a straight 6. it has a

Customer Question

i have a 1999 jeep Cherokee 4.0l and a straight 6. it has a new radiator, new water pump, new radiator fill cap, and a new thermostat. I drove around for about an hour and stopped the engine and it never overheated. a few seconds after turning off the engine coolant was dumping out from the fill cap. my step daughter had overheated it previously and the engine killed itself. I have been told be a mechanic that it could be a blown head gasket, blown cylinder heads, or possibly the fan clutch. what do you think?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jeep Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. It may be possible you have the wrong water pump. There are 2 pumps for this engine One has an R on it, because the serpentine belt runs the pump different than the conventional V-belt driven pump. Or, the wrong impeller was installed on the replacement pump. It takes quite a bit to cause the cylinder head gasket to fail on this engine. It is possible, depending on how long the engine was ran with an overheat condition. A good mechanic with a tool that screws into the spark plug hole (where shop compressed air is charged into the cylinder) would reveal a bad head gasket. I would recommend this be done before you start with parts replacements. If the cylinder head gasket si not blown, you need to verify you have the correct water pump.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Do you have any questions on my input?