Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Bought 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee - occasional loud whoooo

Customer Question
noise for about 5 seconds...
Bought 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee - occasional loud whoooo noise for about 5 seconds and goes away. Normally when stopped and just starting to go.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
8/13/2015
Jeep Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Where on the vehicle does the noise seem to come from?

Noise happens when stopped at light when brake pedal is on. Noise hard to detect where coming from, probably left side of engine or underneath middle of car. Noise gets louder over period of 5 seconds
Noise has a kinda deep sound and gets louder - I thought it might be the car next to us but realized it was our car. This has now happened at least a half dozen times when both my wife and I are in the car.
Btw, I prefer to work on email rather than text on my phone. Last night I got your text at 4 am in the morning which woke me and my wife up from sleep.

The only thing I can think of is a possible drone coming from the converters from an internal broken baffle. Can you get the vehicle on a rack to listen from under the vehicle trying to duplicate this in the air?

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

If it's a drone coming from the converters from an internal broken baffle, can this be a serious concern or just a noise? The only way we could have the vehicle up and to listen, is to take it to the dealership and see if they can find anything. They said it could take a few days to figure it out since it only happens occasionally. Any suggestions or comments?

Not so much serious but it would get worse overtime. The emissions parts have an extended warranty compared to the other parts on the car.

Thanks Chris, I know it's impossible to determine the exact problem until we have it looked at by the dealer. I plan on doing this and will be glad to rate you once we find out what the issue is. Once we find out the concern, I will give you a rating based on their findings.

Thanks, ***** ***** is due to time out and close meaning it unable for me to see your reply on the 19th, so if that comes, thanks for letting me help.

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician