Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

We have a 1978 jeep cj5 with a 304 v8 we want to put a

Customer Question
automatic in it.. have discussed...
we have a 1978 jeep cj5 with a 304 v8 we want to put a automatic in it.. have discussed with others here some say th350 the others th400 turbo..which is the best for the least money..
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
for $ 26.00 I hope you can tell us what we need to make this change and where a person might obtain it..
8/1/2015
Jeep Mechanic: K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hi Bonnie, The only one that will work for the '78 is the TH350 due to length issues. Preferably you want one out of a vehicle that was 4wd so you do not have to change the output shaft to run the transfer case adapter. The company I recommend for al the supplies is Novak conversions. They can assemble an entire package for you to perform the change easily. I'll post a link to the products you'll need below.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/adapters/engine_to_transmission/kit_437amc.htm

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/adapters/transmission_to_transfer_case/kit_135.htm

I suggest calling their pre purchase line first to get all the info ***-***-**** they can then transfer you to sales.

I've been using their products for quite some time and find they are superior to other companys in the adapter market.

I have looked at that sight but they had nothing to bolt up to my 304 v8 all was for Chevrolet engines. this is kind of spendy for the answer
They do, the first link I posted is for the bell housing adapters for the 304 to bolt to the TH350. You may have been on the page for their Chevy v8 swaps. I can assure you they have what you need, I purchased these same items for a customer a couple of weeks ago. I highly suggest calling verses using just their website to order.
From the first link
Kit 437AMC-2, adapting AMC 304 engines to GM HydraMatic transmissions
Part #: 437AMC-2
Weight: 20.30
Price: $456.00
Includes the adapter plate, flexplate, crank spacer, flexplate spacers, flexplate reinforcing ring, fastening hardware
don't you think the th400 turbo would be a lot cheaper it bolts right up to the engine it is tight but they tell me it works fine what do you think. .I know the th350 is over 3 inches shorter but in the long run it would be cheaper..i have been told if you get a transmission out of a cj7 76 to 79 it works.
if this is costing me more money forget the whole matter. drop it
I think I have learned my lesson..
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician