How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask K. Wiggins Your Own Question
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Category: Jeep
Satisfied Customers: 2874
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician, Associates Degree in Automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
Type Your Jeep Question Here...
K. Wiggins is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a 1978 jeep cj5 with a 304 v8 we want to put a

Customer Question

we have a 1978 jeep cj5 with a 304 v8 we want to put a automatic in it.. have discussed with others here some say th350 the others th400 turbo..which is the best for the least money..
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for $ 26.00 I hope you can tell us what we need to make this change and where a person might obtain it..
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bonnie, The only one that will work for the '78 is the TH350 due to length issues. Preferably you want one out of a vehicle that was 4wd so you do not have to change the output shaft to run the transfer case adapter. The company I recommend for al the supplies is Novak conversions. They can assemble an entire package for you to perform the change easily. I'll post a link to the products you'll need below.

I suggest calling their pre purchase line first to get all the info ***-***-**** they can then transfer you to sales.

I've been using their products for quite some time and find they are superior to other companys in the adapter market.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have looked at that sight but they had nothing to bolt up to my 304 v8 all was for Chevrolet engines. this is kind of spendy for the answer
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
They do, the first link I posted is for the bell housing adapters for the 304 to bolt to the TH350. You may have been on the page for their Chevy v8 swaps. I can assure you they have what you need, I purchased these same items for a customer a couple of weeks ago. I highly suggest calling verses using just their website to order.
From the first link
Kit 437AMC-2, adapting AMC 304 engines to GM HydraMatic transmissions
Part #: 437AMC-2
Weight: 20.30
Price: $456.00
Includes the adapter plate, flexplate, crank spacer, flexplate spacers, flexplate reinforcing ring, fastening hardware
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't you think the th400 turbo would be a lot cheaper it bolts right up to the engine it is tight but they tell me it works fine what do you think. .I know the th350 is over 3 inches shorter but in the long run it would be cheaper..i have been told if you get a transmission out of a cj7 76 to 79 it works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if this is costing me more money forget the whole matter. drop it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I have learned my lesson..