Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Grand Cherokee: I replaced the ecu on my 2004 jeep because

Customer Question
I replaced the ecu on...
I replaced the ecu on my 2004 jeep because i was getting misfires and it started good after a few minutes it went back to the same way
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
7/29/2015
Jeep Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. Is your check engine light on or does it ever come on? Thanks.
Yes it is on, i used to get code p0306 and all my injectors misfired but now i only get code p0206 and it stalls
P0206 is related to cylinder 6 injector which most likely means injector has failed. You can check resistance of injector and compare to others or swap with another cylinder to see if misfire follows injector and if so replace. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.
The problem here is why is the truck stalling wen i replaced ecm and coil pack already wat other part can it be
Your telling me i need to replace injector or check the harness??
The injector problem will cause vehicle to stall. P0206 can only mean injector or wiring so it definitely sounds like the injector is cause of your problem. You can use a LED test light to verify injector connector has good power and ground pulse, if so replace injector. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
So your saying my ecu didnt habe to be replaced?
That is how it sounds. If you have been getting P0206 since beginning the coil and ECM should not have been replaced.
But i was also getting p0306 before replacing ecu
P0206 means cylinder 6 injector problem. P0306 means cylinder 6 misfire. P0206 should always be the first assumed cause of P0306 vs going to other things like coil or ECU.
I was also getting p0122 p0300 before replacing ecu
Now i only get p0206
If P0206 was problem then injector still would have been best place to start vs replacing coil and ECU. Let me now if you have more questions, thanks.
Wat do you suggest i do to fix p0206. Im tired of putting money into this car and still can't move it
I'd verify injector is getting good voltage and ground pulse using a LED test light and if so replace injector. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
How do i verify if its getting good ground pulse
The LED light will pulsate off/on while trying to start vehicle.
Wat type of led light can i use?
So.i remove the plug to injector 6?or how does the process to testing it goes thanks
That is correct, remove connector from injector to test. Your local parts store will sell you a LED test light for around $15 or so.
Is there a specific name for it?
No, just LED test light. There is a special tool called a "noid light" which they might barrow out to you for free. THis is just a led test light specifically meant to test injectors but a regular led test light will work fine too.
So remove connector point light at it while someone cranks it?and wat is suppose to happen to knw if its good or not??
Here is a video that shows how to se the noid light. If light flashes then that proves wiring is good and you need to replace injector.
-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MmR-wXddVw
-
Does the ecu part number have to be exact on my ecu because all numbers are the same just last letter is different does it matter
No, they do not need to be the same as many are interchangeable.
Wen i turnd it on this morning alot of white smoke came on is it because of the code i am getting?
Most likely.
I was told. It was burnt oil
Burned oil would be blue.
Oh k well i still need to check that injector im in California so last night it was too late to buy a noid light ill get to it today thanks.
No problem, let me know how it goes when you get a chance. Thanks.
Noid test light passed wat else can i check
That means you need to replace injector.
I disconnected all my wire harness from ecu all the way to injectors since i wasnt getting no reply from you and i saw one cable was pinched so i peeled it and taped it connected all my cables back and turn the truck on ran it for a few miles and it seems to work fine
Good to hear it is running like it should, that is strange noid light was working if wire was pinched. Thanks for update and let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.
I Knw it is weird hope ot keeps running good i will keep you updated thanks!
No problem, have a good night! Thanks.
Dan, Technician