Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Grand Cherokee Limited: The dealer replaced the inline 6 engine

Customer Question
The dealer replaced the inline...
The dealer replaced the inline 6 engine in my 2004 Grand Cherokee Limited with a NEW long block. The engine seems less powerful and gets worse gas mileage. Could it be an engine made for another model Jeep?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
7/20/2015
Jeep Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern. How many miles are on the new engine? Do you have the invoice for the engine replacement? If so, there should be a part number listed on the invoice for the engine Long Block, Can you post the part number here AND the last 8 digits of your VIN number? This will help me determine if the correct Long Block was installed.... Keep me posted... Thank you, Robert
The part # ***** ***** It seems to be correct according to chrysler parts website. There is a noticeable reduction in power (acceleration, passing ability) and in gas mileage (currently about 15.2 avg. versus 18+ with old engine).
How many miles are on the new engine?Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN so that I can research this for you?
About 2000 miles. The last 8 on the VIN= 4C285038
Hello,Sorry for the delayed response...I have finally had a chance to verify the part number for the Long block. It is in fact the correct part per the VIN number... With only 2000 miles on the engine, I suspect that the rings have not yet fully seated and also all moving parts have likely not fully seated either. Per the Manufacturer Part Number, this is a REMANUFACTURED engine. Sometimes they can take 5000 miles or more before the rings fully seat. I suspect after 5000 miles on the engine, the fuel milage and power should get better. If after this time things don't improve, I would recommend to return to the dealer to have them have a look. It is possible that there could be something that was overlooked during the install that can be causing the low power and poor fuel economy..Keep me posted... Thank you, ***** ***** keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer. Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf... Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for good answers is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...
Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician