sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 1989 Jeep Cherokee with 87,000 miles. Lately, the

Customer Question

I have a 1989 Jeep Cherokee with 87,000 miles. Lately, the engine does not start but turns over fine. If I let it sit for a few seconds then try or keep trying it will start (not always). The problem has gotten worse as I never sure it will start every time. I did change the ignition module a couple of years ago. Could the problem be with the gear shift lockout or the throttle body and throttle sensor? It just sounds like the engine is not getting spark when it won't start because I do hear the fuel pump start up after turning on the ignition switch. help.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
What you'll want to do is see if you're actually missing spark when this happens. it's very possible that fuel pressure could be low even though the pump is running. It sounds as if you may be describing fuel pressure bleedoff from a failed pump check valve.
If you're actually missing spark then possible causes would be the ignition module and coil, wiring, the engine controller or lack of signal from the cam or crank sensor. Any of these are possible but lack of signal from a failing crank sensor is the most common cause of lack of spark.