Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Jeep Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I have a 1993 G Cherokee and it began to start hard with lots

Customer Question

I have a 1993 G Cherokee and it began to start hard with lots of cranking but then I discovered that I cud turn on the ignition and wait for a few minutes til I heard the fuel pump go and it wud start fine. Has no ignition during this time as well, The time kept getting longer and longer but now it never starts even after an hour. No spark and no fuel.
I had replaced the Coil, Crank sensor, Distributor emitter and PCM in the beginning before I noticed the time thingy. Any ideas? Alredy paid my $5 on this
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 2 years ago.
So as it stands right now it wont start at all and it has no spark or fuel pressure?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes sir, It finally wont start at all now
The last thing was to replace the PCM and I did that but no change.
I took the new one back to Autozone. Cud the new one have been defective?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Got on the forum n one guy said there was a ground stud under plug # ***** that gave trouble but I cant find that stud. He said had several wires on it
It's possible to be defective but lets try something first.
AUTO SHUTDOWN (ASD) RELAY
The ASD relay is an energizing and cutoff relay for the following components:
Electric Fuel Pump
Fuel Injectors
Ignition Coil
O2 Sensor Heating Element
When ignition switch is turned to RUN position, PCM energizes ASD relay which powers these components. If PCM does not receive a distributor signal shortly thereafter, PCM will de-energize ASD relay, and power to these components is cut off.
Here is what i want you to try. In the relay box next to the battery is the ASD relay. Take it out and swap it with another relay that has the same pin configuration or part number. (i think the AC relay is the same) just dont use the fuel pump relay or anything like that and see if it starts...let me know.
Below is the relays.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/asd%20location.PNG
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I swapped the relays out but still no ignitiion or fuel pump
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had also removed the ignition sw as well but did not spot anything on it. I have no wiring diagram
What size engine is in it? 5.2?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no is 4.0 straight 6
I'd like to verify the voltage to the PCM Is that hard? I have no wiring diagram
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry, I hit the enter key and thot i was sending so I was waiting on ur response. Sorry
I'm real sorry but my wiring diagrams are not coming up on my computer so i will have to let someone else help. You will get an email if someone can help but dont reply back to me or it locks your question to me and no one else can see it.....sorry but i dont know whats wrong with my PC and i cant help without a diagram :-(
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I am waiting
Ok, but wait until someone contacts you or it locks your question to me everytime and nobody else can see it...PLEASE do not reply to me....good luck bud.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am very disappointed because I never heard from anyone on this problem. Am i supposed t keep waiting???
I'm sorry that no one else has anything to add because some problems just cant be diagnosed online.....we all try our hardest but we do have our limits without being there. Your question will still be on the list and possibly someone will see it this weekend....good luck bud and i hope you understand..