Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Jeep Grand Cherokee Lim.: My 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Customer Question

My 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited is showing a msg on the center screen that my coolant temp sensor is bad. I have replaced the sensor and continue to get the same msg. I have 5 volts at the sensor connector. Not sure of the resistance of the sensor. My fuel mileage seems to have dropped from 12 plus to 10 .4. Could this be a ECM problem?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. What size engine do you have? Is your check engine light on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
5.2lt, No
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
This warning your getting is for the coolant level sensor, not the coolant temperature sensor. If the coolant is at the proper level, test the resistance of the sensor. The normal resistance is 3000-3500 ohms when the level is at the proper level. The Pink/Black wire should have approximately 5 volts to 12 volts with the sensor unplugged. The Black wire should be chassis ground. Let me now how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think my coolant reservoir is low. Will top off and let you know.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good, keep me updated. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Over flow res was quite low. Refilled. Will drive a few miles and advise if msg stays off. Willadvise.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Good to hear. Let me know if you run into more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Console still showing bad sensor. Will it cancel itself after awhile?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this sensor a dealer only item?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
If it still shows bad sensor then you will want to replace the sensor. You should be able to get this from any of your local parts stores. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
No problem, keep me updated. Thanks again and have a great day!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I replaced the level sensor. Still getting the same msg. Voltage at 5 going to the sensor. ????
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Check engine came on and then went out and has not reappeared.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if it comes back on, thanks!