Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Grand Cherokee Limited: , I just bought a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Customer Question

Hi, I just bought a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has what seems to be electrical problem... After a few minutes of running, power Windows stop working, needles of speed control panel , battery, tempeture,odometer, etc stop working, also the central door lock stop working...all the rest, AC, Radio, power seat passager)only (as driver seat power is not working), keep woking normal...and Jeep keep running normally... what could be the reason of this?... A hint, sudderly when a push overhead light the instruments and everything gets back for a few minutes/seconds. also and as I had to install the radio, I test.. and when I connected the ground switch of the radio all died instruments go live again..but this is for few seconds only... any help will be fully appreciated!!!
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Helllo and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Have you checked for codes in the computer?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Can you reply with the VIN and I will do some research for you tonight whan I get off of work and replay back. Is that OK?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

here is the VIN,

1J4GZ78Y7TC349774

THANKS!!

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Roberto,
Thank you for this information. This condition is caused by a bad module shorting out the BUS circuit. The modules that are on the bus on this vehicle include: Automatic Temperature Control (ATC), Radio, Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Overhead Console, Mechanical Instrument Cluster (MIC), Driver Door Module, Passenger Door Module, Memory Seat Module, Airbag Control Module (ACM) and Body Control Module (BCM).
For grins, you can disconnect the battery cables from the battery and then hold them together for about 5 minutes and this might do the trick. Sometimes one of these modules will lock up shorting out the BUS circuit and the capacitors will discharge when you do this. You can certainly give it a try but it may not do the trick. If not, the bad module on board the vehicle will need to be replaced.
You can check the BUS circuit voltage if you have a voltmeter. To do this, check the voltage at the Diagnostic Link Connector on the The Violet/Brown wire and the White/Black wire should both have 2.5 volts on them anytime the key is on or the engine is running. If not, start disconnecting the each module one by one until the voltage returns to normal. The last module you disconnect that allows the voltage to return to normal is the module that is bad and will need to be replaced.
I am glad I can help! Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "excellent service" for assisting you today.
Customer
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Roberto,
It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance? Let me know!
Customer