Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Commander: I need to replace the right front bearing hub, and…

Customer Question
I need to replace the...
I need to replace the right front bearing hub, and cv axle on a 2006 Jeep commander, 4.7L, all wheel drive, base model.Started to just replace bearing hub, it would not come loose form cv axle. Now I have a brand new bearing hub, cv axle, and the spline shaft want to come out of the differential. Plus the fact, that I don't see a way to get the axle through the Strut mounting arms. I am on a limited, fixed, income, and recently my wife passed away, with no life insurance, and I have that to pay for. All I am hunting for is a video, or some instructions, where I won't hurt myself with the strut, or something.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
6/29/2015
Jeep Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The strut wishbone will need to be removed to remove he CV shaft. There is a bolt that holds it to the strut and a bolt that runs through the bottom of it and holds it to the control arm. Remove the bolts and remove the wishbone. You may find the lower bolt is frozen in the control arm, if so then it can be cut and then the bushing pressed out of the control arm and replaced.
If you're replacing the shaft and hub both then you can just beat the axle back to break the splines loose. You can spray it down with some penetrating oil if you have the time, then use something like a 4-5 pound short handled sledge to hit the end of the shaft and break the splines loose.
If the right stub shaft won't release from the CV shaft there won't be much you can do with it all in the vehicle. Slide it back in and see if it will lock and then try to knock the CV shaft loose from it. If it continues to come out with the cv shaft then allow it to, and separate them once they're both out. You can clamp the stub shaft in a vise and then knock the inner CV joint off of it.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician