roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  My knowledge of Jeeps from the early 60's till present. Love to help people with there issues.
3506196

Jeep Wrangler x: I have a 2008 jeep wrangler x. Last week all

Customer Question

I have a 2008 jeep wrangler x. Last week all water was out of battery husband filled it and next day the lid blew off and blew acid all over engine. Husband said battery was faulty or last owner hadn't been checking it. (It got it on march) put new battery in ran find until the end of my route (mail carrier) than it wouldn't crank back after I shut it off to deliver package, got a jump it cranked. Took it to advance they said something is causing the CCA to be to high. Should be 850 but showing 1149. Said alternator is hood but starter amps are low but said that wouldn't make battery over charge. Do u have any ideas
Category: Jeep
Expert:  roybelding replied 2 years ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist
most likely the alternator is overcharging and has boiled the battery with too much voltage and current. you can check with a voltmeter to verify
Roy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Advance checked the alternator and said it was fine. Now my radio won't shut off when I open the door. I've heard of something called a tipm and am afraid this may be my problem. Could they be wrong about the alternator
yes, they could be wrong. the battery only fails like that when the alternator overcharges it and overheats the battery.
Roy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok changed alternator and jerp runs good except that tge battery is still stay hot overnight. I know my starter has low cranking amps could this cause battery to be hot during the night while it's parked. I left it running all day today while on route, cut it off to go into post office, family dollar and daycare. Made clicking noise and wouldn't crank on first turn of key at daycare but did after second turn. Why is battery staying hot
the alternator is the failure here but did you change the battery??? it was cooked from being overcharged. I would replace it.
Roy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Put brand new battery in saturday, drove jeep Monday drove find until last stop had to jump it, didnt drive it tuesday, put alternator in Tuesday night drove it Wednesday no problem until stopped at daycare and just clocked when cranked first time than cranked second time. Husband checked battery Wednesday night at 12am it was hot so he discontinued it. Said he heard starter clicking after he disconnected the battery
does he have a voltmeter to do some checks??
Roy