Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Grand Cherokee: I have an intermittent issue with my Jeep Grand…

Customer Question
I have an intermittent issue...
I have an intermittent issue with my Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ 2001 - when I start the engine not everything comes on - the radio, windows and wipers stay off, then on the 3rd or 4th try it all works
also, just started today, the key turns but the engine doesn't start, it clicks like a dead battery - on the 2nd or 3rd attempt the engine starts normally but the problem above is still there
also, I get high idle sometimes, combined or separate with the above issues
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Jeep
the first issue has been around for a year or so but is recently getting worse, now it happens almost every time I start the car, the trip computer over the rear view window is also part of the things that don't come on, but sometimes the radio stays off but the windows work - the 2nd issue just started last week and is now happening every time i start the car - the high idle, sometimes as high as 2,000 rpm, either dies down, or goes away after restarting the car - the car is still drivable but it feels like I might get stranded somewhere soon so must fix quickly
6/13/2015
Jeep Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Hello I will help you with your question,
The electrical portion of the ignition switch is failing. Replacing it should solve these issues.
Will you be doing the work or do want to know what a shop would charge for the work?
I had the ignition cylinder lock replaced 2 years ago - I was burgled and lost the key and fob - purchased new key and fob and had the car reprogrammed - then replaced the cylinder lock when the new key didn't work very well (new key, old lock combo didn't work) - are you referring to the cylinder lock or something else?
I will go to the Jeep dealer close to where I live
I think they only replaced the lock side of the switch, it is the electrical portion that is failing now.
Plan on about $110 for parts and labor to install a switch. They should charge a diagnostic fee, let them make the call on if it is the switch then they are responsible for making the right call. I am pretty sure from here but if they check hands on and call the switch they own the warranty on that call.
Please let me know if you have further questions
Thank you
Thank you! Best service I have ever had, answers to complex problems almost instantly and at low cost, amazing!
I am always glad to help, please let me know if you have further questions
Thank you
Ok, another one that is plaguing me - the Airbag warning light on the dashboard recently came on - my mechanic plugged in his diagnostic tool and said that the airbag electronics were not responding, the diagnostic tool couldn't see anything related to the airbag - any thoughts?
That could be related but they should be pulling codes if you have the switch done at the dealer, it certainly sounds like you have a failing switch.
If you had a break in they could have stressed the clockspring connector for the airbag which is under the steering wheel, that would prevent the airbag computer from seeing the driver's airbag.
Have the dealer check it, you should not wait on getting the switch fixed, it will fail sooner rather than later and leave you stranded with a tow bill.
Let me know how I can help
Thank you
Thanks, I'm done here.
Thank you, ***** ***** back if you have further questions