Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Chrysler Jeep Cherokee sport 4wd 6cyl 4.0: ac clutch will

Customer Question
ac clutch will not engage...
ac clutch will not engage. Static pressure is 90psi, clutch does work, low pressure and high pressure works, relay works. No voltage to the relay when ac is turned on and 3 volts when it is turned off. The 12volt supply to the relay is good.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
6/7/2015
Jeep Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.
Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.
I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.
If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.
Thanks Chris
Yes still need a response
Hi
The clutch relay needs battery voltage from fuse 9 all the time. The PCM provides the ground. Fuse 10 provides battery voltage with the key on. Which is missing?
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
I checked the fuaes inside and under the hood they are good. Is the any other sensor or switch other than the low and high pressure that would prevent the voltage to the relay signal.
There are no other pressure switch/sensors. Just the command from the climate control, pressure sensors, and PCM are used to get the command to the clutch relay.
Any ideas what the problem could be
I will know once I know what the relay is not getting.
There is 12 volts to the relay. There is 2.9 to 3 volts to the signal side when the ac is off. When the ac is turned on the signal side of the relay reads zero.
The clutch relay is powered all the time with the key on from fuses 5 and 10. The signal to energize is a ground from the dark blue/orange wire. Can you monitor that wire and pin using OHMS instead of volts.
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician