Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Jeep cherokee sport: my 2001 jeep Cherokee sport sometimes

Customer Question

my 2001 jeep Cherokee sport sometimes when it has been driven for awhile and shut off when I try to start it will it will run rough like it is flooded for about 30 seconds what do you think
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. Is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have also replaced the oxy sensor
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Do you know what diagnostic codes your getting? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I don't know the code
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Turn key on-off-on-off-on within 5 seconds and it should be displayed on odometer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I turned the key on-off-on-off-on and did not get any thing
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
You can have codes checked with a scan tool at your local parts store for free too. Do that and let me know what codes are. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok it will be awhile
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
No problem, keep me updated. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The code is P1494 and PO303
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
P1494 would be caused by a failed leak detection pump but this would not cause the drivability problems. p0303 means cylinder 3 misfire which could cause this problem. it sounds like cylinder 3 may have a leaking injector. You will want to pull injector rail while monitoring for leaks. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does this mean replace the injector?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Assuming it leaks but you will first want to pull injector rail to monitor injector to see if it is leaking. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I pulled the injector rail there is no leaks, but this problem only happens once out of about 10 or 12 starts other wise it starts up good
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Swap injector 3 with another cylinder to see if misfire moves, if so replace injector. If not you may have a sticking valve. In this case suck some seafoam into engine using vacuum line and pour some directly into cylinder 3. Let sit over night to soak then in morning run in low gear at high rpm. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions. Thanks.