sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Cherokee sport: My 98 Cherokee sport 6 cyl. Started up then

Customer Question

My 98 Cherokee sport 6 cyl. Started up then died, i have fuel but no spark.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
There is a handful of things that will cause a loss of spark ranging from the ASD relay and wiring, the cam or crank sensor, the coil, powertrain control module, a distributor cap/rotor or coil wire issue, or a wiring issue between any components.
The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to see if any fault codes are set. Unless the problem is after the coil then there should be a code set.
The most common cause of lost spark would be a failed crank sensor, which reads off a tone wheel on the flexplate and mounts in about the 11:00 position on the bellhousing.