Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Grand cherokee: Woke up this morning, the key will not turn

Customer Question

Woke up this morning, the key will not turn in ignition switch. The steering wheel is not locked and the transmission is in park. What to do?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.
I would start by using another ignition key to see if that will do the trick.
Also, sometimes tapping on the back of the key in towards the ignition switch will do the trick once it is inserted into place. This will help loosen up the tumblers inside and allow it to turn. However, this may only help temporarily.
Either way, it sounds to me like the ignition lock cylinder is bad and will need to be replaced.
Good luck!
Amedee