Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Grand Cherokee Laredo: After hooking battery charger up backwards

Customer Question
After hooking battery charger up...
After hooking battery charger up backwards on a completely dead battery just for a few seconds,my code reader just said error. The volt meter and gas guage have stopped working. Changed computer twice same problem. All fuses and relays test good. I have wiring diagrams on CD but I need a starting point.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
5/28/2015
Jeep Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Technician
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Try this and let me know if this works.Disconnect both battery cables from the battery and take the cable ends and touch them together for about 1 minute so the capacitors discharge in all electronics in the vehicle.Then reconnect the battery and see if everything operates properly then.Let me know how this turns out here and we can continue as needed.
Thanks Pete

DId the cable thing. Still get "ERROR" on my code reader. Are there any fusible links in the wiring?

The only fusible link I see is the one leading from the power distribution center fuse box to the generator itself,you can check and see if this is o.k. but most likely this won't cause the issue here.
If all fuses are found to be o.k. and with what is occurring here I suspect the instrument cluster was damaged electronically and needs repaired or replaced.
Thanks Pete
I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.
Thanks Pete

I haven't been able to look at the Jeep yet. Too many other things to do. I'll check the fusible link and check my many other schematics for power going to the fuel gauge and volt meter. I think this problem is going to take a while to fix unless I get real lucky.

No problem.Let me know what you come up with here when your ready and if you need anything else.
Thanks Pete

OK Pete. I'll let you know if I find the problem or run out of ideas.

Sounds good.
Pete, Technician