Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have a 2012 jeep wrangler that won't start, it doesn't crank.

Customer Question
I can hear the relays...
I have a 2012 jeep wrangler that won't start, it doesn't crank. I can hear the relays clicking when the key is turned to start. Also after this happened I was unable to lock or unlock the vehicle with the key fob, I replaced the battery but it had no effect.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Jeep
5/24/2015
Jeep Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 3 years ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you! This sounds like a low system voltage problem. Try jump starting it with another vehicle or remove the battery and take it down to the auto parts store and have it tested. Replace it if it fails the test. Let me know if that works.
Chris

I have already tried jump starting it, and it had no affect. The radio, lights, and windows all work from inside the cab with the key in the run position

Ok, tell me this: if you turn on the headlights, and then turn the key to start, will the lights dim, stay bright, or turn off?
Chris

I just got back to the jeep, and i had manually locked it, the key fob would not unlock it, so I unlocked it with the key manually and the alarm went off. I tested the battery with my battery tester and it tests good. Is it common for the key fobs to fail?

Yes. I have seen where the key fob batteries fail and cause this problem. Take your fob down to the local auto parts store. They have a key fob tester and will test your fob for free. Maybe it just needs the batteries replaced. let me know how it tests.
Chris