Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Wrangler: 2011 jeep wangler is making a loud knocking noise

Customer Question

2011 jeep wangler is making a loud knocking noise and jeep shut down at the traffic light.
check oil it was low but added more oil. all fluid was good . Try starting engine left running for 5 min. and then it shut off by it self. It made loud noise nocking ran rough. so i had the tow truck tow it home.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
The knocking noise may be a connecting rod bearing failure or crank shaft main bearing failure which will put strain on the crank shaft turning and in this case the engine can stall out like this here.I would have the knocking noise checked into further to see if the source can be located and then from there repaired to correct this issue here.In some cases if this is the crank bearings failing this can require a complete rebuild or replacement of the engine.
Thanks Pete