Chad
Chad, Lead Master Tech
Experience:  Electrical master,Diesel Specialist,Lead Tech/shop foreman
12781541

Grand cherokee laredo: 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. brake

Customer Question

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. brake lights function fine except when the headlights are on. taillights except for the upper (roof one) go completely out if you hit the brakes while the lights are on. any suggestions as to the cause?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Welcome to justanswer!
At either tail lamp. Hook a jumper wire from the black wire going to the bulb socket to the frame. How do the lights work now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nothing changed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i jumped the black wire to the negative pole on the battery I assumed the lights were grounded if they lit either with the light switch or hitting the brakes. could the brake light switch power off all the lights in the rear?
Expert:  Chad replied 2 years ago.
New Exert here. Do you still need assistance?
Expert:  Chad replied 2 years ago.
I have seen this many times before. The bulb sockets over heat and melt the plastic on the inside of the taillamp where the sockets lock into the housing. If you take the stop lamp bulb out of the hosing and look where the medal pieces from the socket touch the pins in the housing, you will probably see melted plastic. you will need to replace the tail lamp housings, they usually come with new sockets.
Expert:  Chad replied 2 years ago.
Any chance that you have checked what I mentioned?
Expert:  Chad replied 2 years ago.
Do you still have a concern?