Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Wrangler: I have an electrical issue I need help with.

Customer Question

I have an electrical issue I need help with. turn signal lights are being weird and my dash lights are acting weird too. Prior to working on my car my left lights were flashing fast and my right lights were working fine. I searched around the Jeep and noticed some wiring was showing through the insulation. So I clipped the wire and stripped back the insulation. I then used some weather butt connectors to fix wiring. Now the left side works fine and now the right side is having its own issues. Now the right side flashes fast. The side marker and turning lights don't work if I turn on my running lights. The back tail light is not blinking on the right side if I want to turn right. When I turn on the running lights my side marker and turning light go out and I can't see any flashing if I want to turn right.

Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Inspect the rear and front lighting ground connections and see if any connections are found to be loose or corroded in any way.If a connection issue is found this will need to be repaired and will cause this issue here.If you need info on the ground connections let me know.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Pete,

I've checked grounds but I don't think that is the issue now unless I'm mistaken. I was working on the Jeep this evening after I got home from work. I'll write what I saw this evening and maybe you could make sense of it.

Okay, so I have the front left and both back lights blinking when I use turn signal correctly. The front right lights blink when I don't have the head lights on. Once I turn head lights on the front right lights go out and on the dash the right turn signal light is on solid. I can turn the right turn signal on but only the back rear flashes the front doesn't flash. The left side works correctly. I did just replace my multifunctional switch and flasher relay. I also replaced my head light switch about 4 months ago because I was getting intermittent head lights only after the car heated up. That seemed to work by replacing switch.

Is there any correlation with the car head light switch, the multifunctional switch and the flash relay thats causing the right front lights to be acting the way they do? The ground looks solid near the front right lights, not moving and no corrosion.

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
I apologize for the delay as I was off line the last few days.
The multi function switch can cause this type of fault here.If it is failing this will occur.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pete,
I've changed out the Multifunctional switch prior to this happening a year ago due to my signals not working correctly. I actually just put a new one in thinking the previous one went bad and I wanted to use the warranty. I also replaced the flasher relay. It's not an original. One from pep boys the EP26 I think.
So I noticed some more things happening sense I've been messing with the electrical. Going back to the right side lights at the front of the vehicle if I turn the turn signal onto the right side the lights blink and are in sync with each other. If I turn on the head lights the side lights don't come on but when I turn my signal on the flash but its dimmer than they were before the headlights were on. Also the left side, when the headlights are on the the lights will flash separately from each other, they are not in sync. It's like a gremlin is hiding in my wiring and he's plucking with me. I'm not a happy camper about this wiring issue. Thanks for your help though. Hopefully we can we can get it fixed.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
This is a tough one for me to fully be able to diagnose properly from here.I will have to open this question up for others here to see if they can assist further on this as someone else here may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.
Thanks Pete