Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Wrangler SE: 2004 Wrangler SE 4 cylinder wont turnover. Battery,

2004 Wrangler SE 4...
2004 Wrangler SE 4 cylinder won't turnover. Battery, starter and alternator all good, any ideas?
9/15/2013
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello, my name isXXXXX you for allowing me to assist you! So it won't even crank when you turn the key to the start position? Will the starter "click" at all, or do you hear nothing at all?

It did click after replacing alternator but des not now

Do the headlights come on nice and bright?

Chris

Yes headlights, radio, dashboard everything works. Battery tested 12.6 volts

Ok good. Now with the headlights on, turn the ignition to start. Do the lights dim, go out, or stay bright?

Chris

Same no change

Ok Mike do you have a 12 volt test light so we can check out a few things?

Chris

Yes have multi meter

Ok, that will work. Remove the starter relay and look on it for the terminal designations. They will be labeled 30,87,85, and 86. Now probe the #30 cavity. Tell me if there is voltage there. If so, then probe cavity # XXXXX and 86 while someone turns the key to start. Let me know if there is voltage there.

Chris

Where do I locate the starter relay?

Mike it should be in the under hood fuse box. On the inside of the fuse box lid, there should be information as to which one is the starter relay.

Chris

#30 showed 12 volts, #85 showed 0 and #86 showed 0

You were having someone hold the key to start when checking 85/86 correct? Also, is this an auto or manual trans Jeep?

Chris

Yes I did and its a standard 5 speed

Ok, now let's check for power at the clutch pedal switch under the dash at the pedal. You should see a solid Yellow wire going to the switch. See if there is power there when turning the key to start.

Chris

All I see are two black wires going into the switch. I double checked the starter relay and #86 showed 12 volts

Oh, ok. Now I want you to jump cavities 30 and 87. Make sure the trans is in neutral just in case it cranks. Turn the key on, and get a small wire to jump 30 and 87 together. The engine should crank and start. Let me know Michael,

Chris

Nothing when jumping #39 and #87; had someone in the vehicle with the key in start position and the clutch in then tried it again without the key being is start position or clutch in and still nothing.

Hmm 30 and 87 recheck that. There is no 39.

Chris

I meant 30; trying to type to fast

Ok, no problem. take a longer jumper wire and connect one end to the small terminal on the starter and the other to the positive battery cable. See if it will crank. Make sure it is in neutral,

Chris

Ok, do I unplug the wire from the starter or leave it connected and try and make contact?

Go ahead and unplug it.

Starter relay still unplugged or do I put it back in.
That will not matter Mike either way will be fine
Still nothing

Ok, then that starter is no good, or you have a poor engine ground. Try this Mike: put the relay back in and reconnect the starter wire, get a pair of jumper cables and connect the black clamp to the engine block, and the other end to the negative battery cable at the battery. See if it will crank. I need to get off line for about 40 minutes, but will be back and see what happened.

Chris

Still nothing. The starter was tested this morning at Advanced Auto Parts and tested good.
Ok, one last test. If you can safely connect the red jumper cable to the large terminal post on the starter and then the other end to the positive battery post, then try that this will test the battery cable.Let me know Mike,

Chris
Any other ideas?

Well if what you tell me is true, and adding the extra ground from the battery to the block, and adding the extra positive cable from the battery to the starter's large terminal did not help, then that starter is bad. I know you said it tested good, but maybe it was a flawed test. Try tapping on the starter while someone turns the key,

Chris

Got a little click

Hmmm, That makes me think it is the starter then. You see, by bypassing the starter relay and jumping the starter directly, that should turn the starter on and crank the engine. I say go and get a new starter Mike

Chris

Thank you! Appreciate your help and time!!

You are welcome Mike!!

Chris

Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman