Jeep

CJ7: 1985 Jeep CJ7. How can I get it to pass smog in California…

1985 Jeep CJ7. How can...
1985 Jeep CJ7. How can I get it to pass smog in California without having to spend endless labor hours to find a "leak". The engine is running too lean.... Read full answer
1985 Jeep CJ7. How can I get it to pass smog in California without having to spend endless labor hours to find a "leak". The engine is running too lean.
11/20/2012
JeepTech
JeepTech, ASE Certified Technician
An easy test you can do yourself is to take some starting fluid and spray it around the engine and vacuum hoses (also along the intake manifold) with the engine running. See if the RPM's pick up. If they do then you've found the problem.

If that doesn't do it then your best bet is to take it to a repair shop that has a "smoke machine". This machine will introduce smoke into the system and will show any leaks. This is by far the best and fastest (and inexpensive) way to find a leak.
JeepTech
JeepTech, ASE Certified Technician
Do you still need help?
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Could an incorrect size hose from the map sensor to the PCV
Could an incorrect size hose from the map sensor to the PCV cause NOx up to 1200 on an emissions test?… read more
Chris
Chris
Shop Foreman,
Co and hc are high jeep wont pass emissions. 89 jeep
yes hard time starting usually sometimes have to pump gas to start … read more
Chris
Chris
Shop Foreman,
I have a 1995 Jeep Cherokee sport that I can't get to pass
I have a 1995 Jeep Cherokee sport that I can't get to pass inspection because of emissions. I've replaced the catalytic converter. I was told that I needed to replace the EGR Valve however the researc… read more
Chris
Chris
Shop Foreman,
Stop searching for answers—
I live in NYS/ I have to del with Calif. Emissions law, My
I live in NYS/ I have to del with Calif. Emissions law , My o3' 2.4 Wrangler TJ has a one piece 'cat convrtr/ resonator' which is shot. I am putting in OBD2 NY Certf. cat,muff, tailpipe>what do you… read more
Chris
Chris
Shop Foreman,
Jeep Cherokee: Bought my 1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 automatic in
Bought my 1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 automatic in Pennsylvania, brought it to California with temporary tags. Discovered under the hood it was manufactured for initial sale only in the northeastern states… read more
ASE MASTER TECH,
Grand Cherokee Limited: My 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited will
My 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited will not pass inspection because under the Emission Results the Monitor Catalyst and the Monitor 02 both read " Not Ready "? The dealer here in NYS keeps telling me just… read more
Chris
Chris
Shop Foreman,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
jeep grand cherokee: Where can I find carb #on intake, smog
Where can I find carb #on intake, smog says this number is XXXXX need to find digram that shows it. 2007 jeep grand cherokee srt 8… read more
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo
Sr. Technician,
Grand Jeep Cherokee Laredo: My 1999 Grand Jeep Cherokee Laredo
My 1999 Grand Jeep Cherokee Laredo is not passing emission test in CA. The primary failure id the nitrous oxide emissions are very high and apparently the engine is running very lean. I have replaced … read more
Chris
Chris
Shop Foreman,
Jeep CJ7: I have 1984 Jeep CJ7 4.2 that I need to have smoggagle
I have 1984 Jeep CJ7 4.2 that I need to have smoggagle in CA. Is the FAST EZ-EFI legal after market application in CA? I know the Howell and Mopar are.… read more
Chris
Chris
Shop Foreman,
91 Jeep Wrangler: smog; NOx too high at..O2 sensor..welded..hole
My 91 Jeep Wrangler flunks smog; NOx too high at 25MPH. I've installed a new cat and Bosch O2 sensor and it still flunks. I had a small dent in the header downpipe which I mostly slidehammered out and… read more
Chris
Chris
Shop Foreman,
95 Jeep Cherokee Sport: cylinder..smog test..15 mph, and 759 at 25 mph
I have a 95 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4 cylinder. It just failed its CA smog test for NOX. Results were 784 at 15 mph, and 759 at 25 mph. Since 2005, I have only used the jeep 4 or 5 times a year and put ~2… read more
Matt Hardy
Matt Hardy
Master Auto Repair Technician,
1982 Jeep CJ7: the 6 cylinder, 5 speed..carburetor..smog..15 mph
I have a 1982 Jeep CJ7 with the 6 cylinder, 5 speed, and a Carter BBD 2 barrell carburetor. My smog did not pass because of thr NO (PPM) at 15 mph test. Max 1066, Ave 610, Meas 1351. The guy at the sm… read more
jazzmaster
jazzmaster
LEAD AUTO TECH,
Stop searching for answers—
97 cherokee sport: has trouble starting..start unless..unless i give
my '97 cherokee sport has trouble starting when i start it up frequently(within an hour or 2) and won't actually start unless i give it some gas. but starts up okay when i give it a couple hours of re… read more
Chris
Chris
Shop Foreman,
1997 Jeep wrangler: misfiring..cylinder..smog..: valve job, rebuild
I have a 1997 Jeep wrangler that is misfiring on the 5th cylinder. I't won't pass California smog tests and I want to sell it. I'm willing to put some money in it but I'm wondering what I should do: v… read more
Sebastian Vizcarra
Sebastian Vizcarra
Porsche Master Technician,
I have a 78 CJ7 w/a 304. It blows blue smoke and wont pass
I have a 78 CJ7 w/a 304. It blows blue smoke and won't pass smog because of high HC and high CO. Can I add an oil additive and increase my chances of passing smog? It's a Gross Polluter with current n… read more
Dave
Dave
Jeep Master Tech,
Jeep: details(transfer case, axles, gearing, etc.)..vin number
Is there a way to find out the details(transfer case, axles, gearing, etc.) on an older Jeep with the VIN number?… read more
brownjeff
brownjeff
1976 CJ7: TUNE..SMOG, SHOULD I ADVANCE THE TIMING? GAP THE SPARK PLUG
HOW TO TUNE A 1976 CJ7 304V8 TO PASS CALIF. SMOG, SHOULD I ADVANCE THE TIMING? GAP THE SPARK PLUG WITH A LARGER GAP? LEAN THE CARB? HELP... THANKS… read more
Chris
Chris
Shop Foreman,
1984 jeep: good information on how to set differential gears..pinion
where to find good information on how to set differential gears? What distance do you set the pinion for an AMC 20 in a 1984 Jeep CJ7. Going from 3:31 gears to 4:11. Front has been done, and it cost m… read more
marcpod
marcpod
Own collision repair service,