Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Persistent rear end clunk when going over bumps. Shocks are

Persistent rear end clunk when...
Persistent rear end clunk when going over bumps. Shocks are tight, sway bar links have just been replaced and the clunk is still there.
11/3/2012
Stonyman
Stonyman, Ase Certified Master

Stonyman :

Hi. Is this a single knock type noise? The rear has a ball joint over top of it that goes bad and knocks, sometimes pretty loud. There are also bushings on the v frame that connects to the ball joint. They tear and rot sometimes.

Customer:

It is a single type clunk. Will my mechanic understan what you are referring to? Any more clarification which could help find the problem

Stonyman :

If he has ran into these before, yes. You can get a few guys to rock the jeep in the shop and usually that will get it to move enough to pinpoint it. I have done quite a few of these. I think it will be either the ball joint or the bushings. Most likely the joint.

Customer:

Please repeat your diagnosis--when I hit reply, it disappeared before I could make notes

Stonyman :

Either the ball joint over the rear differential is bad or the bushings for the v frame that is attached to it.

Stonyman :

Stonyman :

Did that work for you?

Stonyman
Stonyman, Ase Certified Master

I did in fact read your diagnosis of my Jeep question. It sounds logical and is probably correct. I'll run it by my mechanic in the next few days and we'll focus on the ball joint and V frame bushings. I'll let you know if you hit a home run.

Chip

Thank you. I hope this is it. It's pretty common. Let me know how you make out, and if you have further questions.
Stonyman
Stonyman
Stonyman, Ase Certified Master