Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

2002 Jeep Liberty: 2wd, with a 3.7 V-6..intermittent problem...town

Customer Question
I have a 2002 Jeep...
I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty, 2wd, with a 3.7 V-6. I have an intermittent problem. Sometimes, when I have been running around town, I will get in to start the engine. The lights, radio, and all other electrical work fine. But the engine will not crank. My first thought was that the neutral safety switch was bad. After researching, I discovered that the Jeep Liberty does not have a Neutral safety switch. It has, instead, a transmission range sensor and solenoid pak. My computer is not showing any codes, the battery is new and stronger than required, I replaced the starter, the ignition switch, and the ignition key switch just in case a worn switch could cause this. I am still having the problem. So far, everytime this has happened, if I wait 10 to 15 minutes, it will start up like a brand new car, just as it does any other time that I do not have the issue. I also have a short in the headlight switch. What else can be the problem? Can a short in the headlight switch have anything to do with it? I am waiting on the headlight switch, which is on back order. The only other things in the ignition system schemata are the PCM and the keyless entry brain. Please help. My e-mail [email protected]
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Jeep
4/29/2012
Jeep Mechanic: Amedee, Jeep Technician replied 5 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Hello!

YES.. that is correct! The Transmission range solenoid is located inside the transmission/solenoid pack. I am confident that your problem is going to be one of two things. Either this transmission range switch or a bad PCM. However, testing will need to be done before anything is replaced. You are going to have to diagnose this by process of elimination. Check to be sure that the transmission range switch is sending the correct signal back to the computer when this happens. You are also going to want to check the ignition switch signal back to the computer as well. If all checks out ok, then the PCM is bad and needs to be replaced. However, if the transmission range sensor is not reading correctly, than it will need to be replaced as well.
If the range sensor is reading improperly, wouldn't there be an OBDII code? And if the PCM is bad, wouldn't there be other random codes? This is why I did not suspect these items.
The range sensor will only set a code is it is out of limit or if there is an open circuit on one of the signals circuits back to the PCM. It wont set a code if it says it is in drive when it is really in park or neutral.

The PCM does not normally set a code when it goes bad.
That makes sense. I wish I could find a tech manual, like what the manufacture/dealer technician would have. I probably could have diagnosed this myself. Thank you for your help.
You bet!

I hope this helps! Please don't forget hit the green accept button so that I may get credit for the time that I have spent with you. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

I do hope you are as honest with me about your vehicle as I have been with you. If you have any further questions or if you need more assistance, just hit the reply button and we can continue our conversation. Please remember, even if you accept my answer now, you can still reply or respond back to this thread at any time you wish at no further cost to you.

In addition, please allow time between answers as I may be off line spending time with my family or assisting other customers. You can always request me by using the link through my profile page. Just Click on "AMEDEE" next to my picture and I will be sure to respond back in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

AMEDEE
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician