Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0, 4WD. Error Codes P0031, P0051, P0136 Also previously had e

Customer Question
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0...
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0, 4WD.
Error Codes P0031, P0051, P0136
Also previously had error codes for multiple misfires but they come and go. The above are consistent. O2 sensor fuse keeps blowing.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Jeep
4/4/2012
Jeep Mechanic: Greg, Technician replied 5 years ago
Greg
Greg, Technician

Name is XXXXX XXXXX i will assist you the best i can, please Only accept if you are happy with my answer.

P0031 - Shorted low condition detected in the oxygen sensor 1/1 heater element control feedback sense circuit ( Bank 1, Sensor 1)

P0051 - Shorted condition detected in the oxygen sensor heater element control feedback sense circuit. (Bank 2, Sensor 1)

P0136 - An open or shorted condition detected in the ASD or CNG shutoff relay control ckt. (Bank 1, Sensor 2)

these three codes are a symptom of the O2 sensor fuse blowing, after replacing them and it blows again .check the O2 sensors for shorting out on the exhaust pipe which is very common .

Need further assistance with this issue please let me know.

Kind regards Greg

I know what the codes mean and what is causing them. My question should have been where do I go from here because nothing I've tried has worked. I also double checked and there is no contact on the exhaust.

SO is the fuse burning out each time you replace it .

Greg

Every single time. I thought after I replaced the O2 sensors (and fuse after that) it would solve all problems but the problems seemed to get worst. It reverted back to misfiring (briefly) before going back to the original error codes before I replaced the sensors.

What size fuse are you using

Did you check the wiring from the sensors to the PCM?

Greg

One other thing comes to mind, check the wiring harness at the back of the engine running down towards the transmission, there is a bolt that sticks out this is known to dig into the wiring harness and short out the wiring, check this out carefully this could well be your problem .

There is a plastic cover loom tube that hold the wiring together ,check that there is not a hole that has been rubbed though over the years and shorted out the wiring in the loom.

Kind regards Greg

Greg
Greg, Technician

Using a 10 amp fuse. Checked the wiring at the back and it is secured and not contacting the bolt you mentioned.

Use a 15amp fuse and if this blows disconnect all the O2 sensors ,

Check the ASD relay .

Swap over the wiper relay for the down stream relay .

Check fuse 15amp .

Greg

Greg
Greg
Greg, Technician