Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

2008 Jeep Liberty sport: the remote key doesnt lock or unlock the car

Customer Question
I have a 2008 Jeep...
I have a 2008 Jeep Liberty sport that my husband "deactivated". I'm not quite sure what he did, but the remote key doesn't lock or unlock the car. The car also will not start. The radio works sparingly and the interior and exterior lights work.
can anyone help me get this car up and running again?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Jeep
12/13/2011
Jeep Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 years ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, My name isXXXXX am a Certified Auto Technician with 25+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. I don't know your automotive experience level, so I may have to ask questions of you before I can answer. I only know as much about your concern as you have stated in your post, so please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible.

When you try to start the vehicle, is there a red dot, or a key icon illuminated on the instrument cluster??

I really know nothing about cars and how they work. However when I turn my vehicle on all of the lights that are usually not on our on such as the check engine light and brake light and the ABS light. also there is the red circle and there also is a flashing thunderbolt icon. if you'd like I can upload picture on to a third-party website.
I also believe he messed up the wires on the drivers side of the engine. I'm not positive, though.

yes, do that, just post the link here and I will look at it. Did he deactivate it on purpose?

Take a picture of the wires also and post them up, also take a picture of the steering column where the key goes in...

http://db.tt/FeIECdYf
http://db.tt/8YfL7gll
http://db.tt/G3XNDPTX
http://db.tt/5Sah4z7x
The spot where the key goes in is okay, though. I know he only "played" with the engine part.

Oh, ok, The red dot that is illuminated under the Brake warning lamp is the Immobilizer Security warning lamp. We see issues with the Wireless Module locking up,Since your vehicle is equipped with RKE (remote keyless entry), and does not unlock the doors, I suspect WCM is locked up.... Most times you can get it running again by disconnecting the battery for at least 30 seconds to a couple minutes, reconnect it and see if it starts. If is starts, Then the WCM was locked up, It may or may not do it again. I recommend taking it to the dealer so they can check if the WCM needs to be replaced, there is a service bulletin for this concern...

As for the wiring in the engine compartment, it all looks intact and nothing looks disconnected...

If it still won't start after disconnecting the battery, you will need to tow it to the dealer for diagnosis. If the Problem is with the Immobilizer system, the dealer is the only place that can do the repairs as they need a PIN number for your vehicle and the proper scanner to be able to program the keys and configure the WCM if it needs to be replaced...Most independent shops don't have access to this and will have to send it to the dealer either way. so avoid the "middle man" and take it straight to the dealer....

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your question, clicking "Accept" is greatly appreciated. Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Robert

I don't think I should have to take it to the dealer if he just disabled it in 5 minutes. I'm sorry, but that's not an okay answer. He claims he can fix it in two seconds, and he doesn't have much car experience either.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Didn't answer my question.

What is this? is this a game between your husband and yourself? if so, We need to know what he disconnected... I was giving you information as if the vehicle did this on it's own... It is possible that he disconnected a fuse that powers one of the Modules like the WCM or the PCM... I'm sure if I knew what he disconnected, I could get it started in 2 seconds also....

I was looking at the pictures again, I think you should check ALL the fuses, If there are any fuses missing, try putting one in, Pay special attention to the 2 big yellow fuse holders, make sure they are both pushed down securely...and also Pay special attention to fuse M13, this fuse controls the WCM module...

Here is a diagram of the fuses - Click here to view

Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician