Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, L1, Jeep owner, Shop owner
13677702

2003 Jeep liberty: blows..white smoke..first start..the head gasket

2003 Jeep liberty blows out white smoke wheb you first start it and looks like water is getting into the oil, does the head gasket need to be replace or is there something I could use to correct this problem
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

Tracer :

Hello, I am Randall. I will do my best to assist you today. can you tell me what size engine, how many miles on vehicle? also does it run rough when started and you see the smoke?

Customer:

V6 3.7 has 93000 miles doesn't run rough

Tracer :

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Back shortly

Tracer :

If you have loss of coolant, smoking when started, no missing and coolant maybe in oil? then I tend to lean against a bad headgasket but more so a bad or cracked plastic intake manifold. Cant rule out headgasket but, generally coolant will get in a cylinder and foul a plug or 2 with water so it will miss. Not always. there are no products you can add once it hits the smoking and water in oil level. This means fairly large leak at some spot. I would pull the plugs to see if any looked washed/clean from water. If all look ok? then the intake must be removed and inspected for break in gasket or possible crack in the plastic. A combustion test with dye a shop uses can help confirm headgasket or not as well. The new design plastic intakes have had known issues

Tracer :

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]63.50877192982456[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Tracer :

Sorry, was trying to send pic. I will try another way

Customer:

thanks is this very expensive

Tracer :

I am gathering that info now. Back shortly

Tracer :

If? it was cracked, the intake runs around $125 +/- and 2 hours labor. You will have some shop fees and fluid etc but should come in under $350 depending on your area and prices. Much cheaper than headgaskets and. more common especially with the lower miles, age etc

Customer:

thanks

Tracer :

you are welcome. I hope it is just intake as i think it is. Just avoid running engine with water in oil to be safe