Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Jeep Liberty Sport 2002 jeep liberty..battery light comes

Customer Question
2002 jeep liberty..battery light comes...
2002 jeep liberty..battery light comes on and dash lights flicker sometimes the radio goes off
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Jeep
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/7/2011
Jeep Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 years ago
Dan, Technician
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is Dan and I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. Use a wire brush to clean battery connections and battery cable connections if that doesnt help have battery load tested which can be done at parts store for free if it fails load test then replace battery. If it passes load test then replace alternator. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
dan..replaced battery that did noy work so replaced alternator seemed to work for 2 days battery light came on again and loss of power to dash instruments and radio
Do a voltage drop test while problem is happening between alternator and battery to see if connections are good. Let me know, thanks.
will try..thanks
Sounds good, let me know. Thanks.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Jeep Mechanic: Dave, Jeep Master Tech replied 6 years ago
Dave
Dave, Jeep Master Tech

Hi, thank you for choosing Justanswer, I look forward to helping you resolve your issue. First I need some information from you.

Do you ever have a problem starting your Jeep such as a dead battery? Do you ever have to jump start the Jeep? Are there any other indications other then the battery warning light and the lights flickering and/or the radio shutting off that there is a problem?

Dave

It started with just a battery light and lights flickering..I checked for loose grounds replaced the battery and alternator checked voltage between battery and alternator and that seems to be good but now its even worse all the power flickers radio all lights heat all power but never stalls and always starts

Ok, I take it then by what you have stated there is no real issue with the battery loosing its charge etc. and for starting it starts like any other vehicle starts. Not slow cranking like a battery that is going dead etc..

The first test I would like you to do when the problem is occurring is to measure the voltage across the battery posts with the vehicle running.

Dave

I did that its good..it doesn't have the problem all the time some days its just flickering lights and the radio is uninterrupted other days its everything and some days its fine
Sop when the problem is happening what is the voltage across the battery with the Jeep running?
I don't remember exactly but 12.4 maybe...and I had everything on lights,heat,radio...I can't be sure when I can test it again it hasn't been doing it for about a week so far

Ok, it should be over 13 volts with the Jeep running especially if you had the lights on etc.. So do test it again the next time it is acting up so we are sure of what it is. i am thinking the PCM is not telling the alternator to charge the battery but do not want to send you down the wrong road so really need to know for sure exactly what the voltage is across the battery posts with the Jeep running.

Dave

Ok..will let u know as soon as I get it tested..thanks

Sounds good, I will keep an eye open for your reply and get back to you as soon as I can.

Dave

Dave
Dave
Dave, Jeep Master Tech