Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Fuel Leak

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee -...

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee - 6 cylinder Fuel leak developed at connection between fuel rail and fuel line. Not sure how connection is made. Is there an O Ring. Fue rail seem rusty. Suggestions?

Loosened silver "clip" that seems to do nothing.  Two pieces were tight together.  Clean some corrosion out of connection.

When I started the car again, fule was spewing out under pressure.

8/8/2011
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Hello!

YES! There should be at least one.. if not two o rings between the line and fuel rail that make a tight seal to prevent fuel from leaking out. Sometimes you can get away with just replacing one or both of these o rings. IF not, sometimes the fuel line or even the fuel rail will need to be replaced. However, chances are that they will not need to be replaced as long as they are not damaged in anyway. You should just be able to replace the o ring(s) and you should be good to go!

Should I be able to pull the two pieces apart? They seemed very tight.

The fuel rial by the fuel line is rusty. Is that a bid sign?

YES! THey are supposed to be able to be separated.

Being rusty is not a major issue.. only if it is rusting so bad it is causing it to leak.. then if that is the case, it will need to be replaced.
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician