Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

94..I cannot get ac compressor to engage and also cannot get hot air

Customer Question
I have a '94 grande...
I have a '94 grande with climate control. I cannot get AC compressor to engage and also cannot get hot air in winter. Are these related to the climate control?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Jeep
Answered in 4 days by:
7/26/2011
Jeep Mechanic: joe moore, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 years ago
joe moore
joe moore, ASE Certified Technician
hi, I think you have a couple things going on here, I believe your refrigerant is low and not enough to engage the clutch. and the heat problem may simply be a stuck thermostat it is stuck closed therefore the hot coolant cannot circulate through the heater core so that you can receive hot air
thanx
joe
Sorry brand new thermostat (second one)have some warm air in winter but will not get hot.What if contacts are bad on dial for climate control not telling doors to open or air to come on?
yes that is quite possible, and more times than not the problem, but I am trying to focus on other possibilities, also, don't buy a factory new climate control unit, go to the bone yard(salvage yard) where you can get it next to northing, another thing that may be the problem is this, the heater core and evaporator core are both lined up together. if one is clogged , then you are not going to get even close to the air volume or temp. for either mode,a.c or heater, so you'll need to check if it has become clogged with debris,this is also common; but at this point, because the compressor clutch is not engaging i would definitely lean towards the climate control head unit, because that can both cause the non engagement of the compressor and the no heat problem. Then of course it may be a combination of both , we wont know till we check.
joe
I have tried filling refig. but because clutch will not engauage this is not possible correct?
i'm a liitle confused if this is more often than not the problem why did you not believe there was a connection when I first asked the question?I understand thatwithout climate control there is probably no possible connection. but after trying all other things i started to wonder if there could be a common link. asked a lot of people and no one could give me an answer.
what i was trying to say is, faulty climate control units, are a very common culprit for the kind of faults that you are describing, but they are not always the problem and I was trying to explain another possibility. also just to be clear, the pulley is always going to move because it is driven by the serpentine belt. but in the center of that pulley is the clutch. if that doesn't engage then most likely you don't have enough refrigerant in the system for it to engage, if it is low, you will see the clutch engage as you fill the system and watch it, it will engage go off, engage for longer then go off , and engage and stay on longer and longer as you get to the proper level
joe
joe moore
joe moore, ASE Certified Technician
joe moore
joe moore
joe moore, ASE Certified Technician