Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Is it possible for a saturated vapor cannister to cause a vehicle

to just stop running with...
Is it possible for a saturated vapor cannister to cause a vehicle to just stop running with no indication of any problem
6/23/2011
Dave
Dave, Jeep Master Tech

Dave :

Hi, thank you for choosing Justanswer, I look forward to helping you resolve your issue. No, you should have received a check engine light being on for a peripd of time first along with the vehicle running rich and have several diagnostic codes set in the computer. If your vehicle just shut off for no apparrent reason it is more likely you have an ignition system problem rather then a emmission system problem.

Customer:

Our problem started 4 months after purchase,while driving it would sudenly and without just come to a stop, power would remain on engine would be on but car would not move? This has happened 5 times and the last time everything shut off except for flashers. I have to put it in park turn car off and back on to get it to start moving again

Customer:

I am being told by dealer it is because of saturated vapor cannister which they say is a result of me overfilling the gas tank. I always turn off pump when it clicks full.

Dave :

First off you can't over fill the gas tank. So what your saying is the engine keeps running and even though you have it in drive and you are giving it the gas the vehicle continues to slow down until you come to a stop and giving it the gas only makes the engine rev up but the vehicle does not move, like it is in neutral?

Customer:

yes

Dave :

Do you have the 2.0 or 2.4 engine?

Customer:

2.0

Dave :

Does the check engine light come on when this is happening or have they checked for DTC's and if so do you know what they are?

Customer:

The check engine light does not come on, I do not know DTC's

Customer:

Do you mean diagnostic fault codes?

Dave :

Yes

Customer:

I do not believe they have checked for any fault codes, like I said the service/check engine light has not come on at any time

Dave :

Normally you would have the check engine light on prior to a DTC being set but not always. i would ask them to check for codes. Without any codes they are making a heck of a leap to blame the charcoal canister. All it does is store the fuel vapors and via the purge solenoid route the vapors to the intake manifold to be burnt during normal combustion process so even if the canister were saturated then the purge valve would always be open allowing the vapor to be purged and routed to the intake. Your problem sounds more like there is an issue with the transmission range sensor where for what ever reason the computer thinks you have put it into neutral. An easy way to verify the canaster is not the problem is to bypass it. Remove the input hose and output hose and hook them together. Now the system will believe there is no fuel vapor in the canaster.

Customer:

OK, thank you

Dave
Dave, Jeep Master Tech
Dave
Dave
Dave, Jeep Master Tech