Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, L1, Jeep owner, Shop owner
13677702

Jeep Liberty 2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L Where is the Bank 1 Sensor

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L Where is the Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 Sensor Located?

Tracer :

Hello, I am Randall. I will do my best to assist you today.

Tracer :

do you have the liberty sport? or limited? also, 2wd or 4x4?

Customer:

Limited 4X4

Tracer :

thanks. back shortly

Tracer :

Its on left side of engine, just ahead of the cat converter on that side. sensor #1 on each side are always before the cat converters, #2 sensors are after cat converters.

Full Size Image

Tracer :

requires either 7/8 wrench or 22mm wrench or o2 sensor socket to remove

Tracer :

SYMPTOM
P0133-1/1 02 SENSOR SLOW RESPONSE

WHEN MONITORED
With ECT greater than 147 °F , after reaching a vehicle speed of 10 mph , and the throttle remaining open (off idle) for 2 minutes , bring the vehicle to a stop and allow the engine to idle with the transmission in DRIVE.

SET CONDITION
The oxygen sensor signal voltage is switching from below 0.27 of a volt to above 0.62 of a volt and back fewer times than required.

Customer:

Is that accessible by removing the left front tire or do I have to remove it from underneath?

Tracer :

serviced from underneath

Tracer :

WARNING: THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD, EXHAUST PIPES AND CATALYTIC CONVERTER BECOME VERY HOT DURING ENGINE OPERATION. ALLOW ENGINE TO COOL BEFORE REMOVING OXYGEN SENSOR.

1. Raise and support vehicle.

2. Disconnect wire connector from O2S sensor.

CAUTION: When disconnecting sensor electrical connector, do not pull directly on wire going into sensor.

1. Remove O2S sensor with an oxygen sensor removal and installation tool.

2. Clean threads in exhaust pipe using appropriate tap.

INSTALLATION
Threads of new oxygen sensors are factory coated with anti-seize compound to aid in removal. DO NOT add any additional anti-seize compound to threads of a new oxygen sensor.

1. Install O2S sensor. Tighten to 30 Nm (22 ft. lbs) torque.

2. Connect O2S sensor wire connector.

3. Lower vehicle.

Customer:

Also, This car is being driven on very short trips daily. 2-3 miles once or twice a day. could that be a factor? could it be a cause of failure? Would some freeway travel time clean it out?

Tracer :

how many miles on it now

Customer:

65,000

Tracer :

close but o2 sensors begin acting up closer to 90k -100k in most cases. some fail earlier. very possible you had intermittant and the code is now set. cant say whether a good hard drive and blowout will do it but.. you brief drives do not allow time for the sensor heaters to fully warm that help clean them so.. yes, very possible a few good drives will clean. This code will not leave you stranded. may drop gas mileage slightly is about all

Customer:

Thank you very much. That is very helpful info