Jim Barlogio
Jim Barlogio, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  38 years - Domestic - Foreign - AAA Approved Repair Shop Owner
16094637

2007 jeep commander: the vehicle speed sensor located..liter

Customer Question

where is the vehicle speed sensor located on a 2007 jeep commander with 3.7 liter automatic transmission
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jim Barlogio replied 6 years ago.

Jim Barlogio :

There are two an input and output ... I have , my own drawing , wire color is shown Jim

Full Size Image

Customer:

I got the same info from mitchell on demand but this vehicle does not have any sensors on the exterior i just don't understand it and i am getting codes p0501 and p0730 , the speedometer works sometimes and the vehicle is not shifting out gears in forward at times and also the abs light is on also but i cant locate the speed sensors i have changed lots of them before but this is strange

Jim Barlogio :

Apparently they get them from the wheel speed sensor. So Mitchell and Alldata had wrong info

Customer:

so are you saying that this vehicle uses input from the wheel speed sensors for the speedometer and shifting through gears and does not have a input and output speed sensor?

Customer:

and also do you think that a faulty wheel sensor will cause this problem because i have read some posts saying that a abs code can trigger this problem?

Jim Barlogio :

Yes a faulty wheel speed sensor can , since that is where the signal generates.... I would scan the sensors and check for codes ...

Customer:

I looked all over the transmission it does not carry any speed sensors on the outside I don't know about inside , dropped the pan and did not see any also unless it is behind the valve body but I keep getting codes p0501 and p0730 the ABS light is always on and the when ever the speedometer starts working erratically then the transmission acts up by either down shifting very hard or not shifting the gears out in forward but reverse works ok thinking a bout changing all 4 wheel sensors do you think this will help because I definitely don't see any speed sensors on transmission.

Customer:

I am willing to accept your answer just want a little more info on this situation.

Jim Barlogio :

If you go to each wheel sensor and unplug it .. next connect an ohm meter across each terminals.. Check to see if all are the same ohm readings. I will check on your codes for you... Do not think it is necessary to change all sensors.. It might me easier to unplug the abs module and take the reading there, ohm readings.

Jim Barlogio :

The P0 501 is the LEFT REAR SPEED SENSOR. Focus on that. Jim