Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee: interior lights..the door locks..Im driving

Customer Question
I got a 1998 Jeep...
I got a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee (2WD).....last few years the interior lights have flickered on and off as well as the door locks....all this while I'm driving on roads.....I have pulled the fuse for the lights and for a while it has worked.....I've done this on and off for the last few years. THere was one point in time when it didn't happen for about 6 months....now it's back and the interior lights fuse has been pulled again. So, I thought there was a fuse/relay issue all along but didn't know how to fix it, and my mechanic didn't say anything either.....However, just yesterday, I was driving, and the door locks kept locking and unlocking (still with the interior lights fuse pulled).....I've been reading threads online saying the door latch assembly could be the issue, or possibly the electrical harness. If one of you guys in this Jeep forum has an answer (maybe from an electrical mechanic), I would appreciate it. That way, I can take your answer to my mechanic to help them go in the right direction. So, to summarize, there are two issues: Interior lights flickering on and off while driving, AND the door locks popping at the same time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed with you guys. Thanks.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Jeep
2/26/2011
Jeep Mechanic: Virtual Wrench, Jeep Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Jeep Mechanic

Here is a service bulletin for him to follow. It involves adjusting the door latch mechanisms in the doors. Usually this will correct this, but if not, he will need to disconnect the wires to the door locks on each door one at a time to find the one that needs cleaning or replacement. A problem here will also affect the interior lights causing them to flicker.

graphicgraphic

If you have further questions feel free to reply.

Please remember to click on accept so i receive credit for assisting you.

Even if you have a subscription, please click to accept so i receive credit for working with you.You will NOT be charged again.

You can always ask follow up questions right here for no extra charge even after you click on accept.

By accepting, it shows me that you appreciate my time, expertise and help.

Your last sentence says "A problem here will affect the interior lights causing them to flicker." Which problem are you referring to: the door latch mechanisms or the cleaning/replacement of the wires to the door locks?

Lastly, are these the only two issues that affect the lights flickering and to doors going crazy? If not, what are the other remedies?

Thanks.

Yes, the door latch mechanism will cause both the flickering and the locks going crazy. First step is to clean them, then would be to disconnect them one at a time until they stop acting up and replace that one that was disconnected.

That is by far the most common reason for both of these issues. Worse case is it could be a wire making a loose connection somewhere, but that would be tested afterwards.

Best wishes my friend!

Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Jeep Mechanic
You mentioned cleaning the door latch mechanisms. Can I do this myself or do I have to remove them to clean them (ie: does a mechanic have to this?). If I can do this myself, can you tell me how to do it and what to clean them with? Thanks

Hi there,

Unfortunately i don't think you will want to get to involved with that..unless you feel comfortable to remove the door panels and then snake your arm in behind the inside door wall to get to the mechanism, remove it, then clean and install it :-(

If it were easier i sure would tell you, but i don't want to mislead you into getting into a big mess and end up breaking something. BUT if you are brave i can send you some info on removing the door panel..

Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Jeep Mechanic