Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Jeep wrangler: car parked..wont start..starter relay..wont crank

Customer Question
my jeep wrangler 2001 4.0...
my jeep wrangler 2001 4.0 was parked and was hit in front by car parked in front as that person backed up hit the jeep parked and now the jeep won't start ot wont crank, there is power in the battery I bought a new starter just incase it was the starter and a starter relay and till won't crank when I turn ignition, I am wondering if when it was hit if the alrm stsyme or soem shock sensor did anything to it. to not want to start.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Jeep
1/4/2011
Jeep Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 6 years ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech

ricardo hohl :

hi, it is possible the neutral safety switch has gone bad from the push cause by the impact, have you try crancking with the shifter in neutral?

Customer:

let me go try it

ricardo hohl :

ok.

ricardo hohl :

hold the key to crank position press the brakes and slowly move the shifter through all the gears see if it will crank then.

Customer:

I tried it and it won't crank, all the lights come on but won't crank

ricardo hohl :

ok , can you turn the head lights on and cranck the engine see if the lights dim as you are turning the key to cranking position.

Customer:

No they don't dim

ricardo hohl :

ok then do you have a test light and do you know the location of the starter relay?

Customer:

yes I know where the starter relay is at and I have alittle test light that you ground and gives a light

ricardo hohl :

ok remove the relay and turn the key to on check for power on one of the relays conectors.

ricardo hohl :

after doing that have some one turn the key to crank while you check the relay connector for two powers then.

Customer:

yes I tried it and got a light when not tuning the key switch and then got the same light in the same connector when the key was cranked.

Customer:

I don't understand for two powers, becuase I tried other connectors and only one connector gives power

ricardo hohl :

ok there should be two power when cranking the engine do you have to powers?one power with key not crancking and two powers with key crancking.

Customer:

I am going to go try it again

ricardo hohl :

ok.

Customer:

we cranked it and only one power we get

ricardo hohl :

ok there is a problem there let me pull out the wiring harness .

ricardo hohl :

ok can you check all the fuses on the fuse panel inside the vehicle?

ricardo hohl :

with key on.

Customer:

is ther fuses inside the vehicle or just the one panel outside where the relay switch is. and if there is a fuse panel inside can you tell me where its located.

ricardo hohl :

ok, lest check fuse #6 is a 40 amp fuse located at the power distribution center [relay box] by the battery in the engine compartment.

Customer:

okay

ricardo hohl :

with key on only.

Customer:

how would I test it ? take the fuse out and check the connectors or shall I test the fuse itself if so how would I do that?

ricardo hohl :

turn the key to on and leave the fuse in plase and with the test light check acrose both terminals for power conect the test light alagator clip to a good ground and with the point of the test light touch the top of the fuse and see if it has power on both ends.

Customer:

okay

Customer:

we did it and both ends have power.

ricardo hohl :

ok good lest check the fuse box inside the car is located on the passengers glove box and the fuse # XXXXX and is a 20 amp fuse check also for power across

Customer:

okay , i see the fuse and it looks okay. Now do I turn the key on and see if there is power going through the connectors

ricardo hohl :

yes.

Customer:

the fuse is okay but there is no power going across both connectors

ricardo hohl :

is the key to on position?

Customer:

yes

ricardo hohl :

ok, see if any power when cranking

Customer:

okay

ricardo hohl :

does the fuse has power while cranking the engine

Customer:

there is no power while cranking the engine

ricardo hohl :

ok then you need a ignition switch it has no out put to the starter relay.

Customer:

okay, is it hard to change an ignition switch?

ricardo hohl :

let me see if any recalls on that.

ricardo hohl :

you are a lock man there is a recall on the ignition switch and the dealer will replace it for you for free they are having problems with them going on fire , this will not cost you a penny.i am going to change the page to send you the recall notice all you have to do is take it to the dealer and let them know the ignition switch needs replacing ok. follow me to the other window.

Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech

April 2002

Dealer Service Instructions for:

Safety Recall No. B07 - Ignition Switch

Models

2001-2002 (TJ) Jeep(R) Wrangler NOTE :This recall applies only to the above vehicles built through December 20, 2001 (MDH 122007). IMPORTANT : Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer new vehicle inventory. Federal law requires you to stop sale and complete this recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also consider this requirement to apply to used vehicle inventory and should perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the DIAL VIP System.

Subject

The ignition switch on about 95,000 of the above vehicles may short circuit in the presence of water and impurities. This could cause a vehicle fire.

Repair

The ignition switch must be replaced on all involved vehicles.

Parts Information

Each dealer to whom vehicles in the recall were invoiced will receive enough Ignition Switches to service about 10% of those vehicles.

Completion Reporting and Reimbursement

Claims for vehicles that have been serviced must be submitted on the DIAL System. Claims submitted will be used by DaimlerChrysler to record recall service completions and provide dealer payments.

Use the labor operation number and time allowance shown.

Add the cost of the recall part plus applicable dealer allowance to your claim.

NOTE : See the Warranty Administration Manual, Recall Claim Processing Section, for complete recall claim processing instructions.

Parts Return

Not required.

Dealer Notification and Vehicle list

All dealers will receive a copy of this dealer recall notification letter by first class mail. Two additional copies will be sent through the DCMMS, and the MDS2 will be updated to include this recall in the near future. Each dealer to whom involved vehicles were invoiced will receive a list of their involved vehicles.

The vehicle list is arranged in Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) sequence. Owners known to DaimlerChrysler are also listed. The lists are for dealer reference in arranging for service of involved vehicles.

DIAL System Functions 53 and VIP

All involved vehicles have been entered to DIAL System Functions 53 and VIP for dealer inquiry as needed.

Function 53 provides involved dealers with an updated VIN list of their incomplete vehicles. The customer name, address and phone number are listed if known. Completed vehicles are removed from Function 53 within several days of repair claim submission. To use this system, type "53" at the "ENTER FUNCTION" prompt, then type "ORDB07".

Owner Notification and Service Scheduling

All involved vehicle owners known to DaimlerChrysler are being notified of the service requirement by first class mail. They are requested to schedule appointments for this service with their dealers. A copy of the owner letter is included.

Enclosed with each owner letter is an Owner Notification Form. The involved vehicle and recall are identified on the form for owner or dealer reference as needed.

Dealers are encouraged to consider alternative scheduling and servicing approaches for this recall~ This repair does not require hoists or other full service facility special equipment and is a DaimlerChrysler Mobile Service approved repair.

Vehicle Not Available

If a vehicle is not available for service, let us know by filling out the pre-addressed Owner Notification Form or describe the reason on a postcard and mail to:

DaimlerChrysler Corporation
CIMS 482-00-85
XXXXXEast
Auburn Hills, MichiganNNN-NN-NNNN

Additional Information

If you have any questions or need assistance in completing this action, please contact your Zone Service Office.

Customer Services Field Operations
DaimlerChrysler Corporation

graphic
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech