Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Jeep Liberty Limited 2003 jeep liberty no heat ... replaced

Customer Question

2003 jeep liberty no heat ... replaced water pump and thermostat ... still no heat
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Hello!

The heaters heat comes from the engine tempature. The first thing you will need to do is make sure the engine temp is up to par. 200 degrees is normal operating temp. This is the job of the thermostat. If it is stuck open or stuck closed the engine will not get up to and maintain 200 degrees. If that checks out ok, next step would be to make sure the coolant is full and there are no air bubbles at all in the system. Air pockets in the system will cause a no or low heat situation. IF there are air bubbles or air pockets you will need to bleed the system. Warm up the car with the radiator cap off while topping off the coolant. The air bubbles should rise out the top. If your engine has bleeder screws, unscrew them to release the air that is trapped inside. If there is no bleeders than you can cut a hose near the top of the system and put a flushing tee in line and you can just unscrew the cap to let the air out, than tighten the cap back up when you are done. Next would be the heater hoses. Make sure both of them going into the heater core are the same temp. If they are not, the heater core may be plugged and need to be flushed out. Hope this helps!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
engine temp is fine ... cooling system and coolant is fine ... still not heat
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the delay!

What about the heater core hoses? Are they both hot going into the fire wall?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, as I understand it ... can you tell me about the actuator?
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Sure... which one?

Are you talking about the blend air door motor?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes ... could this be the problem? and if so, how is it repaired?

nothing else seems to have resolved the problem and this was suggested
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
SO the blower motor blows air but it is just not hot?

Does it blow warm when you are driving and then get cool when you come to a stop?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it has been pretty much consistently cold ... but yesterday on a longer trip it seemed to be warm from a couple of vents then cold again.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
You may need to run a calibration test on it. Click here to view a TSB about this procedure.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what will this test tell me? and what do I do if nothing changes?

Is this a common problem for my model and year jeep?
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
YES! This is very common! IF the engine tempature is up to par and you have no air pockets in the cooling system, then chances are the issue is either the heater core or inside the HVAC assembly.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so, what should I do?
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Check the heater hoses going into the fire wall. If they are not hot, check for a plugged radiator.

IF the heater hoses are nice and hot, do the calibration test in the TSB I sent over. If this does not work, you might have to replace the blend air door motor. just be sure that there are no codes in the body computer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
You bet!