Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

1997 jeep grand cherokee laredo: replaced already ecm,cps, coil.

no fire 1997 jeep grand...
no fire 1997 jeep grand cherokee laredo. Thing replaced already ecm,cps, coil. why no fire
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/11/2010
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. Do you have voltage to the coil when cranking the engine?

green and orange wire to ground key on no bat positive

grey with white stripe key on no bat positive

Also no power when cranking the engine?
the engine will turn over no fire to the plugs
OK....When cranking the engine is the voltage to the coil. You mentioned with the key on and I want to know if voltage to the wires while cranking the engine?
let me verify you want me to check battery voltage to whicch wire to ground while cranking the engine. the grey and white or the green orange.
Green/Orange
i am completely confused at this point the engine fired up while probeing the wires at the coil. I do not believe that we had a connection issue because we have connected and diconnected this connector several times. I dont know where to go at this point because i havent done anything to correct the problem but yet the engine is now working. I am a technician by trade working on gm 1.6 engines in large sweepers and floor scrubbers so i know problems that fix them selves have a history of coming back.
There was either a bad connection there or if you continue to have problems of no voltage the asd relay supplies the coil so would try another relay if the problem comes back.
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician

i tried swapping the asd relay before contacting you. I moved the one from the horn postion i looked at the part numbers and they were the same i figured if i swapped them it would verify asd being good.

Then yes the relay would be good. The next thing to do when/if it acts up again would be with the key on see if getting voltage to the asd relay
brownjeff
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician