Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

2006 Jeep Liberty: the blue, the check engine light came on..leak

I have a 2006 Jeep...
I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty. This morning out of the blue, the "check engine" light came on. After a $99 charge for hooking it up to a computer, they say it has an evaporator leak. It will cost another $99 to bring in a piece of equipment to put smoke in the exhaust just to locate the leak and then additional costs for repairs. Does this sound reasonable?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/2/2010
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Jeep Tech -

Can you give me the actual "p-code" that was retrieved?

I don't know the P-code

Ok. First- you didn't need to spend $99 for a diagnostic, most local "big chain" parts store (ie- Auto Zone) will read codes for Free. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

As for the problem- it would be a more accurate diagnosis with a "p-code" however, from what you are describing it sounds like you have an "EVAP System Leak Detected" (this is the emissions system). And, unfortunately, the best, XXXXX XXXXX way to find this leak is, in fact, to have the EVAP system "smoked". This is where a machine forces smoke through the system, and the "leak" will reveal itself with a stream of smoke. Most shops charge anywhere from $40 - $100 for this service, but, like I say, money well spent. Find the leak, fix the leak, and be done with it. You may want to shop around and see if you can get a better price that $99 to do the smoke test, as many local shops have a smoke machine these days to keep up with today's EVAP repairs.

Just got the P-code - it's a 441 - does that help?

Ok- yes, this helps. Actually, with this p-code, a "smoke" isn't going to help you at all. The most common fail item associated with this p-code is the EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid. Most of the times it's just the solenoid that fails (which is why a smoke test won't help- usually it doesnt "leak", it just fails.). Check all the electrical and vacuum lines to/from the solenoid for holes or disconnections. If no visual defects are found, suspect a faulty purge solenoid. The EVAP canister purge solenoid is located in the engine compartment. It is attached to a bracket located between the battery and the Power Distribution Center.

graphic

The p-code was 441 - evaporative emission control system incorrect purge flow - does that help?

graphic

Wow - that's interesting. So I can do the inspection and if I see something, take it in to have the solenoid replaced?

Absolutely. If you see any vacuum lines with holes, or disconnected, fix the line as needed. Make sure the electrical plug is tight as well, and no signs on broken or rubbed through wires. Try to follow the vacuum lines from end to end, any little hole can cause this. If visual inspection is clean, more than likely this solenoid has failed.

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Jeep Tech -
Thank you this is an eye-opener!
Glad I could help. Have a great day!
Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Jeep Tech -