Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, L1, Jeep owner, Shop owner
13677702

How to replace dimmer switch on 1998 grand cherokee ltd

how to replace dimmer switch on 1998 grand cherokee ltd
Hello, are you referring to the dimmer on the dash by headlight switch OR the dimmer when you chenge headlights from low/high?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
dimmer on the dash by headlight switch
Ok, there are 2 different styles but both undo about the same. The trim panel surrounding it will unsnap using a flat blad screwdriver so work carefully around the tim edges. I will send directions next
emove the cluster bezel from the instrument panel. See Instrument Panel, Gauges and Warning Indicators/Instrument Panel/Cluster Bezel procedures.

Outboard Switch Pod Remove/Install

1. Remove the two screws that secure the outboard switch pod to the instrument panel.
  2. Pull the outboard switch pod out from the instrument panel far enough to unplug the wire harness connectors.
  3. Remove the outboard switch pod from the instrument panel.
  4. Reverse the removal procedures to install. Tighten the mounting screws to 2.2 N.m (20 in. lbs.) .

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
instrument panel/ cluster bezel procedures
Sorry, I saw that note in directions but I thought? you just unsnap the switch pod bezel from around dimmer switch and you can unscrew the dimmer switch pod. If not, and the bezel has to come out, her is how to do AFTER you unsnap the smaller switch cover from around dimmer switch etc

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove both switch pod bezels from the instrument panel. See Switch Pod Bezel procedures.

Cluster Bezel Screws Remove/Install

1. Remove the ten screws that secure the cluster bezel to the instrument panel.
  2. Pull the cluster bezel rearward and move it to the outboard side of the steering wheel to remove it from the instrument panel.
  3. Reverse the removal procedures to install. Tighten the mounting screws to 2.2 N.m (20 in. lbs.) .