Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

2000 Jeep Cherokee: with a 4.0 L six cylinder

I have this 2000 Jeep...
I have this 2000 Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0 L six cylinder. I have had it for a little more than 2 years. It has always started and ran really good. Until a few days ago, my wife went to the store and it would not start when she was ready to come back. It would crank but not start for her. She called AAA and the fellow came along, they tried several times and it would crank but would not start. The fellow said, let me try it. He go in and on the second or 3rd try it started. She drove it home and later I tried to start it, no luck. It was Saturday and I gave up thinking I would call for service on Monday. I put the charger on the battery and left it. The next morning I went out and it started quickly on the first try. I am assuming that the Battery (being older and not to strong) would not give enough voltage to run the starter and the ignition voltage at the same time. I got and installed a new battery. It has stared very quickly on a dozen or so subsequent times.

I did some looking on the net and found that the Crankshaft Position Sensor can be troublesome on these jeeps.

I think it was the Battery, we shall see.

Thanks
6/29/2010
Vladimir Grodskiy
Vladimir Grodskiy, Automotive Electrician
HelloCustomer
Thanks for using JustAnswer.
My name is Vladimir.
You are 100% correcct with your suspicions that the CKP sensor could be the reason.
I do not think it was the battery because it was able to crank the engine so It did its job.
Chrysler CKP sensors have always been known for their problems. Those sensors usually fail to send correct pulses after getting hot. If the engine controller does nor recieve correct signals from the CKP sensor, it won't fire the ignition coil.
I would replace the CKP sensor with an original Mopar part ( P/N # XXXXX ).

Edited by Vladgmru on 6/29/2010 at 12:52 AM EST

It was a pretty warm day, about 85 deg, the trip was short and the engine did not over heat. I have never had overheating problems.

I looked at the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) is this the same thing as the CKP sensor that you referenced?

If it was the CKP sensor, would it start to work again just by the cool of the night and the next morning.

I tried it today trying to duplicate the condition as when it failed. It has not failed again.

I had left lights on and ran the battery dead several times. I think the batter was for sure on its last legs. However it did crank the engine.

How much should it cost to have a shop change this. I am not up to it. I have a bad back and can not roll around under cars anymore.

The CKP stands for Crankshaft Position Sensor , yes it the same part.
I am not trying to say that your engine overheats. The CKP sensor is a complicated electronic device that tends to fail as temperature rises. It does may work intermittently.
A sensor itself could be about $100-110 plus 0.5-1 hours to replace.
It is mounted to the transmission bellhousing at the left rear side of teh engine block.
Vladimir Grodskiy

That makse sense, it was hot 90 deg day today, It is out in the sun. I just went out and tried it. WILL NOT START. I will schedule to get it done as soon as I can.

thanks for your assistance.

You are welcome!
Let me know how it turns out.
Thanks,
Vlad

I got the part and friend put it in for me. It started right up but we shall see for sure in the next few days. I am confident that was (I mean was) the problem.

My friend is on his way back to calif. He has hs fingers crossed.

Thanks again.

I am also confident that it was the fix .Hope we will see it by the end of this week.

Please do not forget to click the green accept button if my answer was correct and helpful. That is the only way I get paid for my time and effort from your deposit.

Thanks,

Vlad.

We are good to go and thanks again. It started quickly and smoothly each time I tried it this afternoon.

Have a great day. Oscar.

You are welcome.
Thank you for accepting my answer.
Would be glad to help you again.
Regards,
Vladimir.