Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Limited: that dies..shift from park to Neutral..acts..warmed up good…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 97...
Hi, I have a 97 JGC Limited that dies if you shift into reverse. You can shift from park to Neutral then to reverse and it will run but acts like it is running off with its self. Also doesn't downshift correctly after it has warmed up good. I have replaced the tps and didn't change anything. Have any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jeep
6/29/2010
Jeep Mechanic: Meister Tech, Jeep Master Technician replied 8 years ago
Meister Tech
Meister Tech, Jeep Master Technician
I have Factory Master Gold certification with Jeep

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Is the check engine light on?

Is the die out instant or gradual?

When you say runs off, do you mean it rev's high and the vehicle does not move?

Sebastian V.

It kills it instantly when shifted straight into reverse. The check engine light is not on and I ran the codes and the only one that showed was the O2 sensor. It almost feels like it is in too high a gear in reverse low rpms but got to stay on the brake to keep it slowed down. I hope this will help. Nacrista
You need to inspect the engine and transmission wire harnesses for damage or pinching- short to ground. . This what it sounds like to me, as I have run into this before.

Sebastian V.

Edited by Meister Tech on 6/30/2010 at 12:33 AM EST